Ultimate Subaru Message Board

timming belt re-install

I have a SPFI ea82, I removed the timming belts so I could change the oil pump "mickey mouse" gasket. I removed only what I needed to get the oil pump out, so the cam gears stayed in and in the same position. Also the crank is in the same position as when removing the belts. My question is do I still have to spin the crank 360* after installing the first belt? Or can I just throw everything back on and start the motor up?

Also I believe the ea82 is non-interferance, am I correct?

Since you took em out you might as well replace the belts unless they are pretty new.

If you did not move ANYTHING in the engine you should probably be ok with where stuff is at.

Just note this.

The flywheel should be at the center of the ||| mark.

One cam should have the "o" hole facing up. the other should be down. (thats the purpose of the 360 degree rotation you read about) Do the rearmost belt with the o up. Then turn the engine 1 turn. That first cam will now be at the bottom and the front one will be at the top.

Also make sure you preload the belts something like 8 pounds (consult your manual for exact torque, its been afew years since ive done an EA82) to the LEFT before tightening down the tensioners.

ok the passenger cam gear has the "o" up and the drivers side is down and the fly wheel is on the center mark. Just like when i dissasembled it. Taking a break for supper but then hopefully I can have it running an hour after that.

thanks