Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale or Legacy

I suppose to be fair I should post this in the NEWER Subaru forum as well but I'm a bit biased. I want to pick up a decent used wagon. I had a beat up old brown GL with Hi/Lo and loved it but the need for a more reliable car (it needed a new clutch, and engine reseal) and lack of rear shoulder belts for my son's car seat lead to me selling it and getting a shiny Honda Fit. The Fit is a decent car but I can't say I've bonded with it. I really miss my old P.O.S. GL. I managed to round up about $1000 and have found a nice Legacy wagon (auto) with 170K and a pristine Loyale with 198K (5 speed). I am leaning toward the Loyale partly because I am reasonably familiar with how it works as going to the pull apart was a regular activity to keep the GL running. The Loyale is also in amazing shape. I realize the Legacy has a better engine, is faster, more comfy (maybe) and has AWD as opposed to push button AWD. The Loyale is familiar, slow, ugly and probably easier to work on (if you can find parts).

Any suggestions?

For a reliable comfortable DD, take the legacy.

As long as the auto doesn't have any problems now, and you take care of it. It will last a very, very long time.

Much as I like my GL, my legacy beats it for DD/roadtrip status.

Or, you could buy both. One for lifting, and one for DDing :D

if it's in really good shape EA82's are easy to get a lot of cheap, reliable miles out of. i agree with them though, they are underpowered, behind the times, etc. if it's in good shape now i'd expect more miles out of the EA manual than the EJ auto, though the auto's are robust and not problematic as a rule.

i'm not sure why but the old school locking center diffs seem better (i'm speaking of FT4WD XT6's though) in my experience at tracking up the unmaintained snow covered mountain switchbacks on my daily commute. i have never driven an EJ and thought "wow, that went so much better"...i always grab the XT6 keys on bad snow days. maybe since i've owned one (or 10) XT's since 1993 i'm just more familiar with the. :lol:

the legacy is a much better car like they all said though.

*but - the loyale may yet have one redeeming quality - it's probably got the better chance of talking the guy down to $750! :lol:

if it's in really good shape EA82's are easy to get a lot of cheap, reliable miles out of. i agree with them though, they are underpowered, behind the times, etc. if it's in good shape now i'd expect more miles out of the EA manual than the EJ auto, though the auto's are robust and not problematic as a rule.

i'm not sure why but the old school locking center diffs seem better (i'm speaking of FT4WD XT6's though) in my experience at tracking up the unmaintained snow covered mountain switchbacks on my daily commute. i have never driven an EJ and thought "wow, that went so much better"...i always grab the XT6 keys on bad snow days. maybe since i've owned one (or 10) XT's since 1993 i'm just more familiar with the. :lol:

the legacy is a much better car like they all said though.

*but - the loyale may yet have one redeeming quality - it's probably got the better chance of talking the guy down to $750! :lol:

As long as the auto works well now. Take care of it. It will outlast a 5speed. The ej22 will outlast most other motors.

And with the auto you can lock it in 4wd and get the same thing as the loyalle.

The Legacy sold...couldn't get down there in time. I'm going to go see the Loyale tomorrow. I got some pictures of the Loyale and I have to say it is in REALLY nice shape. I'll see what they are willing to take. Having had a GL I know what to expect in a Loyale and if I can get it cheap enough it can just be a cheap snow car. The hood release cable broke on it today and the seller is looking to get it fixed. I may see if I can get a deal if I take it as is...as long as it looks as good in person as the photos do.

Then keep my eyes open for a decent Legacy down the road. I think part of the problem is that my $1K or less budget is really too little for a decent Legacy. I really like the second gen bodies a bit more and I need to be offering more to get one in useable shape. The Loyale will be fine as a snow car. If I take care of it I can probably sell it in a few years and make a little money back. I sold the GL after 3 years for $600 and it only cost me $750. $50 bucks a year seems downright cheap for all the use I got out of it.

I'll check back with an update. :eek:

Edited by dixeyk

Then keep my eyes open for a decent Legacy down the road. I think part of the problem is that my $1K or less budget is really too little for a decent Legacy.

I got a REALLY nice 2nd gen sedan for $400. All it needed was an engine and some other small things like brake job, and some really cheap easy stuff. All told, I have around $700 into it, car + parts. So the deals are out there, just keep on looking.

$1k is low end for a legacy, but you can find them, they're out there. keep looking for one that needs a bit of work and be ready to jump on it. i've gotten a lot of good deals including two late model legacy's for $900 and $1,000 that needed minor things - alt, light....simple stuff.

the first gen legacy's do look like crap....and i'm not that picky (hey i drive XT's?). but - they are more robust than the second gen legacy's. they have fewer torque bind, strut, wheel bearing, rotor, and other issues. they seem like less maintenance in terms of stuff like that.

$1k is low end for a legacy, but you can find them, they're out there. keep looking for one that needs a bit of work and be ready to jump on it. i've gotten a lot of good deals including two late model legacy's for $900 and $1,000 that needed minor things - alt, light....simple stuff.

the first gen legacy's do look like crap....and i'm not that picky (hey i drive XT's?). but - they are more robust than the second gen legacy's. they have fewer torque bind, strut, wheel bearing, rotor, and other issues. they seem like less maintenance in terms of stuff like that.

I'm fine with a first gen legacy...I'm willing to pick up a Loyale so clearly my fashion sense is deeply flawed. I came really close to a $700 Legacy with 150k on it. It was a bit ugly on the outside but solid. the seller's daughter decided she wanted to learn stick so they took it off the market.

I'll keep my eye out for a decent Legacy. It's a bit simpler living in the NW but they don't just sprout out of the ground. The Loyale however is not a bad option for a short term inclement weather car. That said we've had really mild winters as of late but every once and a while things get ugly and with parents and in-laws both getting up therein years and needing assistance more and more I'm thinking of it as a sort of winter insurance policy.

Don't be in a hurry, and you will find a legacy for that price. I got a great 1st gen for $1500 in seattle. Took me about a week to find one actually. Just don't be in a hurry, and you will find a great leggy for that price. And if I had waited a little longer, I could have probably found one for cheaper. But I really didn't care as the one I found was really the one I was looking for.

I have a soft spot for the Loyale/GL's, but I will never own one for a DD again. The 1 gen leggy is just too nice and comfy compared to my loyale. Ride is better, better options, better ergonomics, has cuplholders, etc. It's just a better thought out car. Not to mention the power difference, and how easy they are to work on. The loyale is a good snow car, but for DD use, even in the snow, I would highly recommended a leggy.

Good luck man!

I suppose I should mention that if I pickup a Loyale it wouldn't be as my DD car. I live all of 3 miles from work and I pretty much walk, bike or take the bus. When I drive it'll be the Fit as my wife and I work at the same place and she has never been able to be comfortable in any of the Subarus we have owned (she says can't get the seat to sit up straight enough). What I am looking for is a winter beater.

Now, that said I am still interested in finding a Legacy. If a good one pops up I'll be all over it. I'll keep looking.

I suppose I should mention that if I pickup a Loyale it wouldn't be as my DD car. I live all of 3 miles from work and I pretty much walk, bike or take the bus. When I drive it'll be the Fit as my wife and I work at the same place and she has never been able to be comfortable in any of the Subarus we have owned (she says can't get the seat to sit up straight enough). What I am looking for is a winter beater.

Now, that said I am still interested in finding a Legacy. If a good one pops up I'll be all over it. I'll keep looking.

She IS right... The seats in subarus don't up high enough.... The newer ones are actually a lot better in that regard.

The seats are wicked uncomfortable though...

She IS right... The seats in subarus don't up high enough.... The newer ones are actually a lot better in that regard.

The seats are wicked uncomfortable though...

That's funny, I have always liked Subaru seats. I find the seats in my Fit uncomfortable because they sit up too straight. I will say however that Impreza seats are way more comfortable than the sets in a GL or Loyale. If I get that Loyale that will be my first bit of tinkering.

Edited by dixeyk

Just something I've noticed...on this board most folks are telling me to get the Legacy ( and truthfully if I can get one in my budget I will) and yet if you read reviews about the Loyale people just LOVE their Loyale. I was that way with my GL. I loved that car. I had a WRX years ago and in all honesty I liked my crappy old GL beater way more in some ways. I'm not even sure I can tell you why but there is something very appealing about those homely, slow EA82 cars. Maybe it's the way they just seem to persist despite being so hopelessly outdated but they have an undeniable appeal.

I tend to bag on the ea82's, but only when comparing to the legacy. They are good cars for sure. They have their good points and their bad points, same with the legacy.

You mentioned your wife didn't like the seats in your old subie, so try the legacy seats and see if it's any better. If that matters to you of course :lol: Might be a good excuse to keep the wife out of the car! Hehe

If you really like the loyale, then buy it. Nothing wrong with that! It's all about what you want. The loyale is not a bad choice at all. But compared to the leggy, it's just not in the same league. It just depends on what league you want ;)

Just something I've noticed...on this board most folks are telling me to get the Legacy ( and truthfully if I can get one in my budget I will) and yet if you read reviews about the Loyale people just LOVE their Loyale. I was that way with my GL. I loved that car. I had a WRX years ago and in all honesty I liked my crappy old GL beater way more in some ways. I'm not even sure I can tell you why but there is something very appealing about those homely, slow EA82 cars. Maybe it's the way they just seem to persist despite being so hopelessly outdated but they have an undeniable appeal.

If you really want to understand that type of Subaru love - get an EA81. '80 to '84 wagon.

They are 1000% more lovable than the EA82 GL/Loyale.

GD

I have bought at least half a dozen first generation Legacy's for under $1000. In the last 4 months I've bought two for $500 each. In both cases they were on the road and ready for the next 60k miles for way less than $1000.

GD

The problem is I have limited space (and time) to work on them. I enjoy it but I don't have a situation where I can do that (not to mention extreme noobishness once the engine gets involved...I can install stereo no problem but resealing n engine would be like trying to build a moon rocket for me). I'm trying to find a beater and not a project car. I'd love to be able to say I can take on a project car but I know that I'd be lying. Back when I was a grad student it was much doable...not so much now.

That said, I have found several 1st Gen Legacy's for pretty cheap...but they would end up sitting in my driveway collecting weeds.

If you really want to understand that type of Subaru love - get an EA81. '80 to '84 wagon.

They are 1000% more lovable than the EA82 GL/Loyale.

GD

A good friend of mine was really into his EA81 and I have seen the look. In truth I'd jump at an EA81 if I found one...that said I see far fewer of them available. On a slightly different note...what is with the way filks price their Subies these days? Some folks seem to think their cars are made of platinum (even when they are falling apart P.O.S. cars).

Edited by dixeyk

The Seattle area seems to get higher prices than most other places in the US. Though there are places in the rust belt where the EA series cars are highly prized by certain folks and they will pay a lot more for them.

It's a bit of a "cornered market" effect - if you need a reliable 4WD for skiing, fishing, camping, and other off-road type activities and you don't have a lot to spend..... Subaru is about your only option these days. It's about the fuel economy and the ability to go where only trucks and SUV's can normally take you. There are other options for sure but most are not common and not easy to find parts for, etc. And I know of no other "car" that has ever come with any kind of low range :).

You are in the right area to find EA81's - it's just going to be a waiting game. They are out there - I own three right now and have had dozens over the years. I just sent one to CA with a board member in fact.

I have owned.... probably over 100 Subaru's. I have played with all the years and models and since I run a Subaru shop I have worked on most everything up through about 2006 or so. On any given day you can see many vintages of Subaru's here but one thing you will almost never see is an EA82. I pretty much have no use for the '85 to 94 Loyale bodied cars other than I rip out their SPFI system to use on EA81's and I will use their 5 speed D/R transmissions. Other than that (and with a few exceptions like the RX's and Touring wagons) I have no desire to mess with that engine.

GD

Okay then...went and saw the Loyale. Aside from an oil leak that was way worse than described and an interior that clearly shows up better in photos than in person there was a weird (and I repeat WEIRD) sound of water rushing whenever I would accelerate or brake.

Also, it's been a few years since I've been in an E82 but I found that I did not like the Loyale that much. maybe it's my imagination but I thought my GL was a lot nicer. Maybe it's two years driving a Honda Fit and I've gotten used to really nice ergonomics and a pretty high level of fit and finish but the Loyale is not for me. It's going too be a Legacy. Today however was not that day. I had 2 sold out from under me as I was on the way to see them. I am especially bummed about the turbo wagon but you can't win them all. I am going to see another one next week (the owner is on vacation until next week so at leads it won't get sold before I see it).

1st Gen Legacy or bust!!!

if you don't want a project i would avoid turbos or inspect very carefully. more heat, more parts, more maintenance, more catastrophic failures.

what they said - just keep waiting. like GD, those of us who are buying multiple subaru's every year - it's not hard, just wait and keep looking and you'll find a good deal. i've even gotten two late model legacy's with relatively low miles in your price range that didn't really need much of anything or minor work. that's rare but they're out there. both were just busy business people who were ready to move quickly, no hassle.

yeah - it's hit or miss, there is a wide range of pricing. you're looking for one that's cheap for the right reasons, not the wrong reasons. be ready to jump as soon as possible, when an honest seller comes up with a great deal they don't last. have cash ready to go and show up ready to move it. green stuff talks. talk to people and hear their stories...great deals come from retired couples not wanting to mess with it, doctors with no time, people needing to move...etc.