Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05' forester with disappearing coolant

Hi, I have an '05 forester 2.5X MT that's my girlfriend's daily driver. It's been bleeding coolant lately, but isn't leaving any puddles or anything like that and it also doesn't appear to be putting out lots of water through the exhaust (which I think would be a "normal" symptom if it was a HG problem?) We live in an apartment right now so it's a big hassle for me to do oil changes so when she took it to firestone for an oil change today they wanted to do a coolant system pressure test for $30. (because the coolant reservoir was empty :banghead: need to get on her about checking fluids again.) Are there some things I should/could check first re: the disappearing coolant or is the pressure test a decent place to start and is $30 a reasonable price to do it?

Also, can anyone recommend a good mechanic for working on Subarus in Olympia, WA? or at least close by. I've got an '85 brat that's my new toy/DD (I don't need to drive much so if it's down for a day while I research stuff it's usually not the end of the world unlike the forester for my girlfriend.) that I'm happy wrenching on, but I'd like to have a good, reputable place that actually works on Subarus regularly to take the forester for second opinions/work that really needs a garage.

Thanks

Tom

Doesn't sound good. A pressure test is a start. I'd take it to an Independant Subaru shop though for a full check-over. We have a few members on the board here who regularly work on these in the PNW. Not sure how close any of them are to you, but they all seem well versed in Subaru and fully capable of finding the source of your coolant loss and repairing it properly.

Thanks Fairtax4me, even if you don't make me too hopeful... I did some quick googling and found roopair specialties in Tacoma which isn't too far. Anyone have any feedback on them? Can I trust Firestone or some other chain to do the pressure test properly?

:(

A pressure test just highlights where the leak is coming from, then you have to fix it.

If it's a hose or thermostat gasket, it's easy.

If it's the headgasket, more work to fix it right. You can also put in a bottle of subaru Coolant Conditioner if it is the headgasket. They usually leak underneath right above the exhaust, and the coolant boils off the exhaust pipe giving a sweet smell.

The headgaskets leak coolant to the outside of the engine, not into the combustion chambers. So you won't have coolant coming out the exhaust like most cars with a blown head gasket. It also doesn't cause any drivability issues as long as you keep the coolant full. The coolant conditioner is a stop leak, so it will fill the very small porous area of the headgasket and stop it leaking out of the engine.

Roopair says it would be about $2500 if it is a headgasket, and they usually recommend the clutch since everythings apart already which would be another $400 so $2900. Plus tax.

Does this seem reasonable? I was hoping for more like 1500-2000... :( but maybe that's a pipe dream.

have you tried adding two bottles of Subaru's coolant conditioner? it's required for this motor and has stopped initial SOHC EJ25 leaks for others.

subaru charges around $1,200 for headgaskets only and independents can be less. you can probably find a cheaper price....up to you to determine if it's a lesser job though??

make sure they use Subaru only headgaskets

i would buy one of the ebay timing belt kits for $160 and have all new timing belt, pulleys, and tensioner isntalled - good for another 105,000 miles. leaving the old pulleys in place is silly and the timing belt has to come off to do the headgasket anyway so it's no extra work, just install a new belt instead of an old one.

Just a follow up - I checked it over and though the conditioner would likely solve some of the coolant loss (I'm not at all convinced it was all being dumped on the ground), it would not help with the fairly large oil leak from the driver's side head gasket. The leak is large enough to drip on the ground and is contaminating the rubber of the engine mount - not the usual light film on the head/block that I often see from these.

Tom decided to just replace the HG's and solve both problems without having to add conditioner and worry about that oil leak getting worse, etc. The car is within 5k miles of needing it's 105k service anyway so that will get done at the same time and it should be set for another 105k.

It's a very nice black Forester with only 100k on it and I think it's definitely the right call to do a correct and lasting repair. If it were a junker or had high miles - I would say ignore the oil leak, add some conditioner and drive the wheels off..... but not in this case.

GD