Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wife Wrecked My 88 Subaru GL, What new Gen Subaru is close?

So my wife got into an accident today (shes ok) and I can't find the body parts for my loved 1988 Subaru GL 4x4 with low range in Indiana. It was just repainted last year (upsetting). I have liability car insurance since I never been in a wreck, and blue book value is low so I didn't do full coverage. Anyway I'm upset, but need to get a new car. So what is the closest car to a 1988 Subaru that is 2000 and up? Any suggestions? Outback? My wife's car is a 2006 Toyota Matrix 4x4. I'm looking for that or an Outback. MY GL got 34 MPG and I want close to that MPG. I hear these new Subaru's wont get the MPG this will because they are AWD as opposed to switching to 4x4.

Damn I will miss my 88 with the low range!:mad:

sorry to hear about your 88 - that is sad, but also very glad to hear the missus is ok

as for anything close in a 2000 or better? um - nothing

the newer cars are bigger, heavier and full time AWD

on the plus side, they have more "creature comforts" and a better ride...

the best I can tell you is go try a few on for size, so to speak. see what "fits" you best - what works for one person, may not work for the next.

Good Luck on your hunt

again, sorry to hear about the loss.

sorry to hear about your 88 - that is sad, but also very glad to hear the missus is ok

as for anything close in a 2000 or better? um - nothing

the newer cars are bigger, heavier and full time AWD

on the plus side, they have more "creature comforts" and a better ride...

the best I can tell you is go try a few on for size, so to speak. see what "fits" you best - what works for one person, may not work for the next.

Good Luck on your hunt

again, sorry to hear about the loss.

Thanks, I figured nothing was close I was just hoping someone had a new and old generation or works on them, and would say what is the closest new gen is to the old.

In my opinion and research the closest I know of is a Toyota not even an Subaru. The very rare 4x4 Matrix because it switches to 4x4 otherwise it stays in FWD like the GL. So they both still get good MPG.

But really its an automatic 4x4 kick in, and for real off road conditions it’s no where close. I made this thread to hope I was overlooking. Maybe if I can find the parts I can have this rebuilt…half of me says rebuild and tell the misses to never drive it, half of me wants to just move on since parts are a pain to get nowadays.

Most 'cheap' 4x4 use a oil-friction locking system and are fwd most of the time. The SX4 is quite popular in europe and so is the fiat clone (well developed together). I drove the fiat panda 4x4 (no you are not looking for a tiny italian car), but must admit that the 4wd was working pretty well in slippery conditions. But still it is not a permanent system.

If you are not focused on subaru (but you should not!!!) you can look at VW passat synchro and that is where it ends. Forget the volvos their awd system is no where near the subaru system.

An 2000+ outback is nice keeping in mind the 2.5 HG issue is solved, the 4th gen (2003-2008) is very good.

just for fun:

But it will get very good milage.

Hmmm... I thought he did NOT want a permanent AWD system. The SX4 seems to allow you to select 2WD or 4WD with center lockable LSD (or something that works just like that).

I think the Panda uses a different 4x4 system as the Fiat version of the SX4 (the Sedici)

Edit: just saw the video... amazing :) Just don't tell Jeremy Clarkson.

Edited by jarl

Hmmm... I thought he did NOT want a permanent AWD system. The SX4 seems to allow you to select 2WD or 4WD with center lockable LSD (or something that works just like that).

I think the Panda uses a different 4x4 system as the Fiat version of the SX4 (the Sedici)

Edit: just saw the video... amazing :) Just don't tell Jeremy Clarkson.

There is the climbing (most simple version) and the cross (same as sedici with lockable center diff and LSD in the back). But these days, mileage is the biggest selling point (use to be safety but that is sorted more/less now). Bigger cars usually do not have good mileage however I get about 30 mpg on propane and 35 on normal fuel with an 1.6 impreza 5spd if I take it easy. 24 mpg if drive faster on highways (difference between 59 and 71 m/h)

(top gear is way better then 5th gear but they made the video) The sx4 awd system in lock seems to work quite good. The car itself is also relatively light.

Yes I DIDN'T want a permanent AWD system, but I'm open to it, if I can't get a newer car with a switchable 4x4 system like the old GL. The reason I would prefer a switchable 4x4 system is because of gas mileage. Conditions don’t call for AWD or 4x4 all the time. So why waste the gas and efficiency with permanent AWD? The switchable system uses FWD in good conditions and allows the driver to use 4x4 in bad conditions, that’s what I like and find practical.

Thanks for the advise/feedback!

Yes I DIDN'T want a permanent AWD system, but I'm open to it, if I can't get a newer car with a switchable 4x4 system like the old GL. The reason I would prefer a switchable 4x4 system is because of gas mileage. Conditions don’t call for AWD or 4x4 all the time. So why waste the gas and efficiency with permanent AWD? The switchable system uses FWD in good conditions and allows the driver to use 4x4 in bad conditions, that’s what I like and find practical.

What size range you have your mind on. The SX4 is in europe a small family in US it is a mini I think. Larger cars with (automatically)-switchable 4wd will be SUVs like Nissan Murano, Xtrail (not sure if on US market) and the rogue (quashqai in europe).

Toyota has the matrix awd as mini then, and some bigger ones as well.

I think most awd systems on the market are 95% fwd with an oil friction system. A disadvantage of that any awd system powered or not is the energy needed to turn drive shafts. As far as I know that can only be switched off in some pick-up trucks to the front.

Here is 100k test of the quasqai/rogue in germany

googletranslated:http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autobild.de%2Fartikel%2Fdauertest-nissan-qashqai-1012065.html&act=url

It was the better SUV tested so far, it scores somewhat better then average

Edited by rverdoold

The parts are there.. somewhere...

LOL

People out west just don't understand how rare these cars are and the parts east of the Mississippi, because older cars rust out here. Most people drive cars less then 10 yrs old, so an 88 foreign car is a rare sight here. I understand where you’re coming from since I moved this car with me east from Colorado. There were a TON of parts in Colorado and a ton of these cars in junkyards for parts. However in Indiana and surrounding states parts are hard to find, most mechanics out here are scared to even work on them. I bet there are less then 10 1988 GL’s on the road in Indiana. During my rebuild last year just to get 2 new fenders I had to wait 4 months for a back order and drive to Detroit to pick them up.

Thanks for the advice…

Look on Craigs list for a nono running GL or Loyale. When my daughter totalled hers six weeks ago we found one about 100 miles away and went and got it. We swapped everythin from her car into it and now she is back to having a selectable four wheel drive 5 spd car, just like she wanted. I paid 350 for the car and then there was just labor for the swap over and we did that. I probably have a grand total of 500 in the new vehicle.

Good Luck

Glad your wife is fine. That is the best news!!

I own both a 98 and 99 Leggie Outback wagons, and am satisfied with both. Gas millage is prolly in the range of 25 mpg with all around city driving. From what I have read Subaru AWD is about 90% front drive & 10% rear drive all the time. If slippery conditions are encountered, then the power is moved away from the slipping road wheel to a wheel that is getting traction. What hurts fuel economy more then anything else is the added weight of the AWD components, as well as all Subies got heavier with air bags, heavier bumpers, stronger bodies, and more accessories.

I live in Indy, and get to the wrecking yards quite a bit. G.W. Pierce wrecking yard on Route 31 North of Indy has a fair amount of foreign car parts. They may have parts to rebuild your car. What is needed?

I saw a DL or GL (not sure) at the 8th mile Parts Galore in Detroit a couple of weeks ago, if that helps. But I'm curious about something: is it nuts to try a drivetrain transplant from a GL into an Impreza?

Edited by jarl
Added timeframe :)

Glad your wife is fine. That is the best news!!

I own both a 98 and 99 Leggie Outback wagons, and am satisfied with both. Gas millage is prolly in the range of 25 mpg with all around city driving. From what I have read Subaru AWD is about 90% front drive & 10% rear drive all the time. If slippery conditions are encountered, then the power is moved away from the slipping road wheel to a wheel that is getting traction. What hurts fuel economy more then anything else is the added weight of the AWD components, as well as all Subies got heavier with air bags, heavier bumpers, stronger bodies, and more accessories.

I live in Indy, and get to the wrecking yards quite a bit. G.W. Pierce wrecking yard on Route 31 North of Indy has a fair amount of foreign car parts. They may have parts to rebuild your car. What is needed?

A new hood, passengers side fender, front bumper, passengers side light, passengers side header marker light, and a radiator.

THANKS!

A new hood, passengers side fender, front bumper, passengers side light, passengers side header marker light, and a radiator.

THANKS!

All those parts are "bolt ons," and none sound expensive, or time consuming to install. It is worth a call to a few yards to see what parts they might have. It sound like you have enough car left to be able to put her back on the road. Spray cans of paint that come close to matching your existing car paint are available. The result won't look perfect, but not bad either.

I have an old Audi that I wrecked several years back. Parts needed were much like what you need. Cost came to something like $250-$300.

Any structural damage to the uni-body, radiator, or head light support? Fan behind the radiator okay?