Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ignition interchangeability, obdI-II, Lego to Imp

I bought a 97 impreza L sedan. The ************monkey failed to mention a few things, including the key not matching the doors, since he swapped the OG ignition with something else. So The only key I have starts the car, and I can't lock my doors. However, I'm about to strip my old 94 Lego and I was wondering if I could swap the ignition and locks and just use that key. I checked Opposedforces.com and couldn't find anything involving the ignition. Thanks!

GD has the correct idea. Check with a quality locksmith to see whether it's cheaper to re-key the ignition to match the doors or whether to re-key both door locks to match the ignition. Pulling the door locks is pretty easy, but an inspection mirror and flashlight would allow you to read the key code for the doors....something like W369.

Another way to get the door codes/key would be to check with the dealer and have a key cut for the doors using the VIN number of the Impreza. That might be the cheapest approach, but would necessitate using two keys which could be a pain. A good locksmith could re-key the ignition just from the key code and having a door key made by the dealer would give you some confidence for the work needed and a spare key.

Just an afterthought, check carfax for a salvage title. I have a '97 Impreza wagon with the original ignition and it seems unlikely to me that the ignition mechanism would need replacing (mine has 217K miles on it) just from age. It's possible the car was stolen, damaged, re-covered, repaired and sold again as a result. You might have more of an issue with the PO than you thought.

I bought a 97 impreza L sedan. The ************monkey failed to mention a few things, including the key not matching the doors, since he swapped the OG ignition with something else. So The only key I have starts the car, and I can't lock my doors. However, I'm about to strip my old 94 Lego and I was wondering if I could swap the ignition and locks and just use that key. I checked Opposedforces.com and couldn't find anything involving the ignition. Thanks!
I you have a pick and pull wrecking yard you could also just wait until you find an '97 Impreza and strip the ignition lock and door locks to install on your car after a key is made for them. But having done this on a few cars myself, I'd suggest having a locksmith do the ignition lock install for you; door locks are easier, but the ignition lock can be tricky. Price it out to see which option is least expensive.

Other year Imprezas should fit also.