Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Exhaust project

DaveT

NICE WORK MAN!!!

its hreat to see someone on here really post a lot of detailed, clear pics of the whole process....

i just scored a real nice used tube bender. and an eastwood notcher, and a great eastwood 4" air-saw, so i can get into this type of thing professionally.

clearly there is demand for it.

how does it sound>???? your exhaust, i mean.

You just flipped the car on its side to do the exhaust. seems much easier.Did you lay a mattress down or just say ************ it?

or is the car a template?

The whole way through I was thinking "Wow, these are *really* good pictures... did he do this all on a shop lift? Then I saw the gravel. LOL :D

Dave, you should sell these!

x2! Have you thought about it? Now that you've made one, would it be easy to crank out more?

The whole way through I was thinking "Wow, these are *really* good pictures... did he do this all on a shop lift? Then I saw the gravel. LOL :D

HA yea. Same here. First thing I noticed was the automatic and greasy CV axles. I wondered why doing a nice exhaust on such a car was worth it... heh.

Wow, thanks everyone!

I used my [killed by rust] 1990 as a template. So the "bottom" side is pretty wrecked. I used a tire & the rear seat to pad it. It worked the first time, but the second, something hit wrong and broke the glass. Oh well.

The front pieces are 1-3/4" pipe. From the Y back is all 2". Mostly because I could only find 2" and bigger flanges pre made.

I might do mufflers in the next year or so. I was thinking of cutting an old one open to copy it - but make the holes slightly bigger. I did the "hot rod" muffler thing years ago, and it was fun - except on long drives... I did think I could make a stainless valve to go from normal / quiet to obnoxious... :)

Sound... It doesn't leak. It does have a slightly different sound. It seems to wind up a little higher & smoother at the top of the tach. than the old aftermarket & original pipes I had on there. [the cats were hollow on those old pipes]

I would have to find someone to cut the engine flanges. They are 3/8" thick.

There is a shop locally that would make this kind of thing for any car. For about $1500.00. I think I remember them saying they would make me 2 for about $1000.00 each.

The jigs were made from unistrut and various clamps. They would have to be re made. Once I was done with the Y, I needed the parts to do the mid pipe. I can ask around, see what I can find out about making a few.