Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pull engine or transmission?

I find the engine much easier.

I ALWAYS reseal baffle plate on a '95.

Also check it over for VC gaskets and such. The 2.2 isn' tbad to work on it ht ecar - but nothing is easier than when it's out!

It's also easier to pick up on other items that may need serviced.

I need to put a clutch fork in my 95 legacy. In your opinion whats easier to pull, engine or trans? I have access to a lift.
engine is easier.

pulling the trans *can* be really fast because there's not much to it, far less to do than pulling an engine, but it is totally annoying wrestling with that thing under the car, spilling fluid, and reinstalling.

If you have a lift to use, I would drop the tranny, but that's just me. If you don't have a lift, definitely pull the motor. I would probably replace the clutch while you have it apart as well, unless it isn't very old. But it would be a good opportunity while you have it apart.

I have a list and still pull the engine. I still find it eaier and more opportunity to review the status on the engine.

I have a list and still pull the engine. I still find it eaier and more opportunity to review the status on the engine.

Plus it's only time changing the spark plugs are super easy!

I'd pull the engine, and check for small oil leaks and do them at the same time. Just my opinion though.