Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Leak '99 OBS (EJ 2 2.2)

Hi, I have a oil leak that seems to be getting more severe. 15,000 miles ago there seemed to be oil only on the oil pan. It now looks like it has migrated to the front and back of the engine, thus leaking on to the exhaust leaving that unpleasant burning oil stench every time I come to a stop. (only 75,000 miles on the engine)

When I clean the surfaces it looks like it's coming from 2 places, a small bit from the timing belt cover area, and largely from the oil pan gasket. I've checked the valve cover areas and they are clean on both sides. The majority seems to be towards the rear of the oil pan as it is dripping on the exhaust.

How hard is oil pan gasket to replace on this model? Is it something I need to pull the engine for?

Any help or input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

-Chris

the rear leak could be the oil separator plate on the engine. You have to remove the engine and the flex plate to get at the plate. The new style is steel instead of aluminum or plastic.

Here is a link that gives some photos but are shown with the engine removed

http://beergarage.com/SubySeparator.aspx

Most leaks on these Subies seem to all end up on the exhaust giving that stench. Only worse thing is the axle grease spewed onto the exhaust!

the rear leak could be the oil separator plate on the engine. You have to remove the engine and the flex plate to get at the plate. The new style is steel instead of aluminum or plastic.

Here is a link that gives some photos but are shown with the engine removed

http://beergarage.com/SubySeparator.aspx

Most leaks on these Subies seem to all end up on the exhaust giving that stench. Only worse thing is the axle grease spewed onto the exhaust!

Yours should have come with the metal seperator plate which increases the odds of NOT leaking.

Yours could still be leaking htough.

Do some searching here. Especially if you have someone else do it they'll wanna replace the rear main seal. My opinion (and a popular opinion here) is DON'T DO IT. The only ones I've ever replaced leak because someone already replaced them. Do the baffle/oil seperator plate and don't touch hte rear main. If you "do it while I"m in there" this is a rare case where it's better left alone.

This leak runs down the back of the pan and makes it look like the pan is leaking and gets on the exhaust.

Again I've never had a pan leak - unless it was rusted through. They are glued to te block real well at the factory.

Than you so much for the responses.

What about an oil leak near the timing belt cover? Is it possible that the leak could have traveled the oil pan forward to make it appear like there is a small leak in the front of the engine as well?

What are other common leaks on this model? I cleaned up more today so that I can try to pinpoint it, but I'll probably need to pull the engine to be sure.

If it is the rear oil separator and I pull the engine, I might as well do the timing belt too (since it hasn't been done before). Is there any other matainence that I should perform while the engine is pulled?

Many thanks for that website too! Much appreciated :)

My experiences with oil leaks on the EJ engines are #1 the cam seals ( yes that is in the timing belt area) #2 oil baffle plate, #3, head gaskets.

Baffle plate and head gaskets are not worth messing with unless you are the type to loose sleep over a dirty garage floor or a little whiff of burnt oil. Engine pull.

The cam gaskets get done at timing belt change.

I put down a big piece of cardboard box in the garage and live with it.

Also, if you are smelling burnt oil, check the right front outer CV joint boot,. They tear and throw grease on the exhaust

Check your PCV. Increased pressure due to a gummed PCV may push oil out of the engine.

At the front of the engine you have both the front crankshaft seal and the oil pump, both of which can be the source of a leak. The oil may be being pushed toward the back of the engine while driving, so you may want to check that.

If possible, clean the engine until it's pristine, and then try to pinpoint the oil leak before driving too much.