Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 turbo stuff on ea82 N/A stuff?

thecarguy

i would like to build a ea82 hybrid. i have a 1986 ea82 carburetor. if i put ea82 turbo heads on my stock short block then have a duel Webb set up will this be worth doing? and dose anyone know which cams are bigger turbo or N/A...:banana: if there is a difference.

turboing a carb block(8.5 compression) is doable, and reliable with stock timing curve. do not overboost beyond stock settings.torque will be improved with the better compression.

I've never looked at the Spider manifold but the gaskets for it measure 37mmX41 and I like the shape for ports. I've got ports 44mm minimum as it stands in the heads.

So, two carbs, what would you choose?

Doug

i haven't decided on side draft or downdraft

Hit Delta up for cam specs and go from there? On the single Weber. If you're taking the time to do this...what I'm saying is. I won't have anything to do personally with an "adaptor" onto a small manifold.

And I once bolted a 780 CFM Holley square bore to a stock Ford manifold. Sucked. Anyway

I would challange anyone here. I can build an Hitachi to stomp all over a stock Weber. And if I were using the Weber personally, I'd swap it to the SPFI Intake Manifold. Or the Spider.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

I won't have anything to do personally with an "adaptor" onto a small manifold.

That's just silly. Nothing wrong with a properly designed adaptor plate. It makes the swap much more accesible to a much wider audience.

I would challange anyone here. I can build an Hitachi to stomp all over a stock Weber.

Challenge accepted. :-p And no you can't. Not a stock Subaru Hitachi anyway. And even if you use something larger - Weber's get bigger too if you need them too. No Hitachi that I know of will go toe-to-toe with a pair of 48 IDF's.

GD

Don't buy parts from a person, or let anyone work on your car, that hates it. Bad Carma to say the least. On the Hitachi, look up The Dime Quarterly for a primer. I'm gratefull to the Datsun guys for one for some of what I know about it.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

picture.php?albumid=291&pictureid=3319

I ran across this several months ago researching parts for a 4 Bore Hitachi I have. It's a modern, in production...don't know the market Hitachi side draft. I've been wanting to run a Holley on one. "Pink" and "Blue" heads on the SPFI manifold below. I know of no one who's welded one up for a carb tho.

picture.php?albumid=291&pictureid=3229

Variation of these carbs have any option I'd want to pay for. Same price range as a Weber. Comes with 30 cc accelerator pump. 50cc and such available. Externally adjustable center pivot float...on and on. People have specialized in these things and you can buy any mod you can think of and pay for. Anyway, I'd like to stumble across a good used one for cheap. I know them inside and out.

4254412_L.jpg

Doug

Edited by Quidam

MikeW, Bratsrus1..... it's been done with the SPFI manifold. Benefits really aren't that great. The problems is the heads and their cheesy ports. Too many turns and too much shared between cylinders.

And if you are going to run an SPFI manifold - might as well run the SPFI system. Better than most carb setups, dead reliable, plentiful in the yards, and cheap.

Carbs have been done to death - MegaSquirt and FI is where it's at. With FI you can run ANY sized throttle body and not be limited by venturi's being oversized for the CFM of the engine and not operating properly at low CFM (idle, progression, etc). There's even a Nissan V6 injector that drops right into the SPFI TB.

I am one of the few people on this board that knows as much about carbs (done blow-through and draw-through forced induction, etc) as well as FI (former software engineer). I have lots of experience with both as well as training in hydraulics, compressed gasses, vacuum systems, etc..... FI is far and away the superior solution.

Carbs are fine for what they are - but at some point you reach a tiresome stage with them - it's too much bloody work to tune them every time you change some little thing. They don't like it when manifold vacuum goes +..... funny and unexpected things happen with the e-tubes and they are just a huge pile of voodoo and chicken bones. The 1's and 0's of FI are much more tangible and easily manipulated. No funny bendy-screwdrivers required.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

• 3 weeks later...
I assume these are At the Wheel HP numbers, but still.......why so low? An stock EA82 makes 90 hp?

Put simply, AWD drivetrain losses. You've got the friction of two ring and pinions, more bearings, more u-joints, and more mass to accelerate. The numbers can also vary wildly on depending on what type of dyno was used.

On the dyno that turned out 98hp on the 2.5l, an EA would come in at 50hp.

i just found out today what pistons are used in the ea82 airplane motor:D they are a Yamaha motorcycle performance piston. as soon as i confirm this info ill let everyone know........if you guy didn't already know

I want to know what you know when you know it:)

The carb pistons have more piston to head (quench) clearance than the SPFI pistons. That means more compression and less apt to ping/detonate with the SPFI pistons. I've got one going together now and am putting the SPFI pistons in it. (the carb block)

Doug

PS I've got to run it down some more, but there may be another piston that fits as well. In thory anyway.

I like your idea. IF going no-turbo then an mpfi xt engine is good to go with the highest compression, and dual ports.

Otherwise, put the turbo heads on an spfi block.

...if you are building from spare parts.

I have run turbo cams on a spfi motor with hitachi carb/manifold. This worked well for a more open exhaust, and i ran it with increased timing. it was better on low end torque for running no header!

Interesting about the Yamaha pistons. That means i can start looking for motorcycles with burned pistons, because i have subaru pistons laying around.

• 2 weeks later...
I like your idea. IF going no-turbo then an mpfi xt engine is good to go with the highest compression, and dual ports.

Yea, the XT MPFI is the most powerful N/A (normally asperated/non turbo) EA engine produced. 97 hp @ 5200 rpm and 103ft. lbs. torque @ 3200 rpm. (Edit: From a post by Hatchsub, the EA 81 Twin Carb RX produced 110 hp @ 6000 RPM.)

The XT MPFI cams have 12* more duration than the SPFI/Carb cams and 6* more duration than the Turbo cams.

From the FSM, Carb/SPFI has 244* duration, MPFI Turbo has 250* duration, and N/A XT MPFI has 256* duration.

All these cams have the same lift and I measured a SPFI cam installed with new pumped up lash adjusters.

I got lift numbers in the .360 range measured at the valve spring retainer with a dial indicator. This from a 1989 SPFI cam in excellent condition.

The best factory cam with 256* duration and about .360" lift is still a pretty tame/mild camshaft.

A bigger cam than that would really wake this motor up and use the RPM it's capable of. But "that" cam doesn't exist.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

The valves float at 8100-8200 and it won't rev any higher.

Same result on 4 different engines, so that gives you a pretty good idea of what the stock valve springs are capable of.

I feel like my valves float before that... over 7k but before 8

I'll check that tomorrow.

what engine are you referencing?

The valves float at 8100-8200 and it won't rev any higher.

Same result on 4 different engines, so that gives you a pretty good idea of what the stock valve springs are capable of.

good to know that the rpm can go that high. so a safe red line would be 7800-8000 rpm. on the itb and high compression pistons

Yep. I used a oil cooler kit from PepBoys back when I had a EA82 - really helped keep it cooler while buzzing down the highway in the desert heat.

I think it's a nissan maxima will fit with a little fabbing. A number a people have done it - a quick search will find it.

• 3 months later...