Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've seen quite a few threads on rebuilding older Subaru starters, but not much on the newer cars.

The starter on my 06 does not disengage as quickly as it should. I understand this is a fairly common problem on the 4th Gen Legacies. I have also read that taking the starter apart and greasing it up will fix this issue without the expense of buying a new starter.

Here is a video where you can hear the noise the starter makes. This is not my video, but the noise is the same.

I have never done anything like this and have a few questions.

1. What type of grease would be best?

2. Where can I get new contacts and a plunger? I plan to replace these parts as they will be easily accessible while the starter is out of the car.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
Looking at Opposed Forces; the illustration looks different than the pictures I have seen of starters before.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_1/engine_electronic/starter/illustration_1/

No 14 is called a plunger and No 17 is called a plate. Looking at the picture leaves me somewhat confused.

the contacts and plate are not #14 and #17, but is it #10? I don't know and hope someone can help us with this.

Looks like Subaru breaks it down to just the "Switch assembly-magnetic, starter" which is #7. Runs about $70 or so it looks like. Cheaper than a new starter at least!

But if you figure out which denso starter model it is - you should be able to buy the contacts online. I've seen them for sale and looked into it before.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Assuming that starters haven't changed too much since I worked on my '95 Legacy, I suggest you remove the starter and open up the back of the solenoid. Take out the two L-shaped semi-circular copper contacts and carry them with you to a local auto-electric shop--there are a number of configurations so you want to make a visual confirmation!

Contacts should be $15 or less.

You probably don't need to replace the plunger (the large copper "washer")--just dress the face with emory paper.

Ask a local mechanic what auto-electric shop he uses--there's usually a well respected one in every town. If that doesn't work check with Toyota or other major dealers. Or look online or maybe Ebay.

Good luck.

Looks like Subaru breaks it down to just the "Switch assembly-magnetic, starter" which is #7. Runs about $70 or so it looks like. Cheaper than a new starter at least!

But if you figure out which denso starter model it is - you should be able to buy the contacts online. I've seen them for sale and looked into it before.

GD

Ah. I see that now. #10 is parts where the solenoid mounts to the body. I have a couple of starter shops in town to source parts. Hopefully I will remember to post up some numbers for others to work with.

Just an update. I was able to grab a starter of an 05 LGT 5MT for $50 shipped. It just arrived Friday, but I haven't had the chance to look at the model or anything like that. I plan to pull it apart, clean it, grease it (if needed) and just do a straight swap. Since I couldn't find the parts and I don't have a garage I figured it would be easier to just swap than to pull, try and source parts come back and install again.

• 2 weeks later...

The new Denso starters look like they went with the sealed solenoid as well. While it's possible to rebuild the solenoid, it's not as easy as with the older Denso starter/solenoid assemblies.

It seems like most suppliers only sell parts to electrical parts rebuilders, but there's a guy on ebay, probably a rebuilder himself, who sells the solenoids. Check out my post in this thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=127583&page=2