Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Higher Pressure Radiator Cap?

My Sube's cooling system is working fine but I'm thinking about replacing the radiator cap(it's been there for a good number of years) with a higher pressure one; they're rated at 19 lbs...I think that the regular ones are 16 lbs.

Ya think that the 19 pounder might create problems?

If a 16 lb has worked well for years, then I would recommend staying with that size. I don't see any advantage to adding 3 more pounds of pressure to your cooling system, only creates a possible negative effect. The added pressure could cause a weak hose or weak spot in your radiator to be more likely to spring a leak.

Following that logic.....if he had a soft hose or weak spot in the radiator, wouldn't it leak eventually anyway? This way he could keep an eye out for any leaks for a week or two. But I guess I just don't understand why you would want to use a higher pressure cap. Higher pressure raises the temp that water boils at. You said the cooling system works fine. What's the point?

Not a matter of need; just thought that the higher pressure cap might make for a more efficient cooling system...higher pressure means higher boiling point.

But after rethinking this I realize that it would be a bad idea since Subaru head gaskets leak .like sieves:brow:

I'll stay with 16 lbs. Don't wanna look for trouble.http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Edited by ergo

Not a matter of need; just thought that the higher pressure cap might make for a more efficient cooling system...higher pressure means higher boiling point.

But after rethinking this I realize that it would be a bad idea since Subaru head gaskets leak .like sieves:brow:

I'll stay with 16 lbs. Don't wanna look for trouble.

slightly off topic, but cooling related.

i have noticed that some after market t-stats are 170* and some are 195*?. is there a good or bad to either one of these? what is the stock T-stat?

my inclination would be to use the lower temp, 170*, unit for a lower temp engine. this is clearly a reaction to ej25s over heating. but i'm wondering , does the ECU care if the engine coolant is 170 vs. 195.

generally speaking, this is just a theoretical discussion since i would only install an after market item if i could not source a subaru t-stat. as a matter of fact, i have two good used after market ones on my work bench right now, one of each, but i'll be buying a subaru stat in the morning. (this assumes you can use the word good in the same sentence with aftermarket t-stat.)

i was just curious .

sorry for the hi-jack.

Edited by johnceggleston