Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AWD and less then perfect tires

Put some 15" 23 inch tall on the front and 17" 27 inch tall on the back and drive around in a parking lot doing some slow tight circles.

NO.

NO NO

The tires have to be EXACTLY identical make brand size, wear.

or put 15 inch on he right side and 17" on the left side..

NO NO NO scrap that too.

read the owners manual or call the subaru dealer, you have to have identical tires all around on a AWD.

I was not trying to be a prick or anything, kinda sarcastic humor but for sure the manual stated the answer.

Manual says within one-quarter inch in circumference, which you can measure with a piece of string or a flexible tape measure.

You could run radically different types of tires as long as the rolling circumference matched the AWD would be happy- but what would happen hitting the gas or brake when it was slick out, who knows.

Now if you are just out of spec and have two tall tires the same size and two short tires the same size, you can put a tall and a short in front, and a tall and a short in the rear, probably best to have tall's diagonally opposite... I'm pretty sure if they were only a little out of spec nothing weird would happen as far as handling goes, and maybe even the rear limited-slip would be happy. Maybe.

But, if not poor/desperate and you want it to last as long as possible, make 'em match.

Dave

if you're smart about it it's not that big of a deal. if you're just winging it and slacking, then probably best to get new tires.

places around here often install two new tires - one front and the opposite side rear on Subaru's. i do not do that, just relaying what i see in a Subaru heavy area. not sure if it matters which side, probably should be the driven side up front if there is one. i've never done it nor think it's a grand idea, but it's fairly common practice around here so there must be some kind of logic behind it.

i generally run the ones with more tread up front and they wear down to match the rears. but i'm not talking about new fronts and bald rears either.

• 2 weeks later...
Manual says within one-quarter inch in circumference, which you can measure with a piece of string or a flexible tape measure.

You could run radically different types of tires as long as the rolling circumference matched the AWD would be happy- but what would happen hitting the gas or brake when it was slick out, who knows.

Now if you are just out of spec and have two tall tires the same size and two short tires the same size, you can put a tall and a short in front, and a tall and a short in the rear, probably best to have tall's diagonally opposite... I'm pretty sure if they were only a little out of spec nothing weird would happen as far as handling goes, and maybe even the rear limited-slip would be happy. Maybe.

But, if not poor/desperate and you want it to last as long as possible, make 'em match.

Dave

Thanks for this post.

I bought my car with two pairs of identically sized tires of different tread patterns and was hoping I wouldn't have to change tires just because they weren't exactly the same.

I'll get some new tires when I get back to work, but for now I'm good apparently. :drunk: