Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Totaled my wagon yesterday.

I avoided a worse accident on the freeway yesterday, but in doing so put my 86' GL wagon into a concrete barricade at decent speed. Caught a little air in the front from the impact, and it turned the engine off. Engine won't turn over, sounds bound up. My neck and back are sore, but I'm mostly alright, health-wise.

Not much forward of the firewall looks salvageable, but we'll see after I figure out how to get the hood off. I haven't parted out a car myself before, can anyone give me advice on how to figure out if the engine is still functional or not? Any other advice is great too. I know GD has saved a couple car with wrecked subframes, but this one seems a little far gone to me.:dead:

I've got some feelers out right now, and have shot a couple emails on craigslist. I guess if my engine is alright, I'd be trying to find something that needs one and swap it in. At some point I'll be parting out whats left of it.

Bummer.

post-38197-136027651217_thumb.jpg

Can you reach your hand in that gap on the right side (as seen from the front)? If so, you may be able to undo the hinge bolts on that side and twist things enough to get the whole thing up. There are two 12 mm (I think 12mm) bolts.

Is the hood release cable not releasing? If it does you won't have to unbolt anything, just have to be persuasive and maybe pry a bit with a screwdriver.

I wonder if you could have bound up the crankshaft pulley and stalled the motor? Or bent one of the fans enough to get wedged between the belt and the crankshaft pulley? It is entirely possible the engine itself is bent, but my gut (not that it means anything) is guessing something is binding her up from outside the motor, rather than you having bent the crankshaft or something.

How fast were you going?

Haha, I forgot to check the speedo as I hit. I would say probably 35ish at impact? Yeah, the release cable is immobile, I'm going to be trying to take out the bolts. I can get at least flat wrenches in on both sides, I think. What a week.

If it's not bent past the strut tower - I could save it. It looks like it might be salvageable but you would have to carefully inspect the strut tower and the frame rail under and behind it. They usually crumple in front of the tower but that's a pretty hard impact so it's hard to tell. Front ends are cheap at the yard - about $35 is what I pay for a core support that has been cut in front of the strut towers. Then it's about $150 to $250 for the fenders, hood, bumper, grill, radiator, etc. I have done the whole deed for about $800 including labor. No paint or anything - either find matching panels or just go with multi-color for a while. :-p

GD

When you get the hood open look for places where the body contacted the engine and check for damage. Bent/broken crank pulleys, water pumps, etc. are common.

If the motor has been moved around at all, check the aluminum case VERY carefully for partially stripped out motor mount holes, cracks, etc.

probably have the fans pushed into the belt for AC and Alternator and that is keeping it from turning over. But you need to get the hood open before trying to start it, you could have a battery that is exploded, shorted wires that could lead to a fire, etc.

So, open the hood, cut it off, it is junk anyway before trying to start it.

Thanks you guys.

Tomorrow's project is to redo the oil pan gasket and troubleshoot the electrical on my roommate's '85 GL wagon, so that we can be mobile again. Then I'm out of town for a week. When I get back, this project in whatever form it takes will begin in earnest. Feel free to keep the advice or ideas coming. I appreciate it.

Then I'm out of town for a week. When I get back, this project in whatever form it takes will begin in earnest. Feel free to keep the advice or ideas coming.

Even if you are short on time, I would second bheinen74's advice to check this out, preferably before you leave:

But you need to get the hood open before trying to start it, you could have a battery that is exploded, shorted wires that could lead to a fire, etc.

It shouldn't take too long to cut or pry the hood open, and you wouldn't have to worry about it while you are gone. Plus, once the hood is open, you will have a lot better idea what kind of damage you are up against. ;)

$150 to $250 for the fenders, hood, bumper, grill, radiator,

Got all that for $50 at my local pick N pull. Apparently this is a very unpopular car in the northeast and the ones sitting in junk yards are all basically unmolested, and taking up space so I get parts off them real cheap! :) Anybody driving through Pennsylvania should stop in a few junkyards in Holidaysburg and grab some spare parts ;)