Ultimate Subaru Message Board

door locks switch acting strange

ok, another item in the list of "to do " in my new leg....

electric car locks "behavior" has been a bit strange from day one, most of the time only the driver's door would lock-unlock, sometimes the rest of the doors too... car doesnt have the original door lock remote system but has an alarm system with its own remote.

yesterday finally switched the aftermarket alarm off and the problem persists even without using the remote,

i.e., just using the key the other doors and trunk locks open/close intermittently.

before tearing into the drivers door, is there any chance that its only the rod that moves the switch that is not regulated/needs adjustment or better to simply buy a door switch unit and change it?

your feedback / experience will be appreciated.

TG

the door lock timers are notoriously problematic, located up behind the dashboard on the passengers side - behind the glove-box-ish area. it's annoying to get too. i started trying to fix mine because it does the same thing you're talking about - and more - but i never did figure out how to get to it.

there's another thread on here about it - i'd look for that thread, it maybe describe other causes as well - like the drivers door.

the door lock timers are notoriously problematic, located up behind the dashboard on the passengers side - behind the glove-box-ish area. it's annoying to get too. i started trying to fix mine because it does the same thing you're talking about - and more - but i never did figure out how to get to it.

there's another thread on here about it - i'd look for that thread, it maybe describe other causes as well - like the drivers door.

Wait.. not all of them are located in the passenger side beside the glove box.. I know on my 97 OBW it's right under the kick panel right under the steering column.

Not sure where the switch over was but I guess it became too much of a pain in the rump roast to get to where the old location was.. I know that's true I ended up with a bloody hand.

If you have a remote, try reprogramming first.

There should be a valet button down by the OBD port. In my case (98IOB), the button itself was missing and the wires were just hanging loose. I just used a nail to short it.

Hold the button for 15 secs. The doors should cycle three times. After the 3rd time, release button and push the lock button on remote. This programs the remote. If more than one,hit lock button on others before 15 secs. passes.

This may help.

Before, mine would just alternately lock or unlock, even when driving.

O.

thanks for the inputs again

now the big question..... am not really interested in having delayed/timed door auto locking in the first place !!!! and my gen 1 didnt have it either

no kids or other such dangers, so is there any way to simply bypass the thing?

will try to dig deeper into the schematics but maybe someone has already managed to.

Cheers

TG