Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1999 Legacy Brighton Wagon, 2.2l, auto. A neighbour has a 1996, or 7 Outback (2.5l I think) auto which he is going to have towed to a wrecker. He said I could take whatever I want off of his car for spare parts. Any suggestions on what I should harvest? I'd be limited to smaller things I can carry like power window motors, starter, alternator, etc, not larger items like transmission, motor etc. Thanks.

take the front fenders if there is no rust. save the grille, lights. keep the projector fog lamps if it has them.

grab some bits off the motor such as the MAF, cam and crank sensors, the radiator

also, take the cup holder and the heater selection console, as a lot of times those become sticky or the light burns out.

the rear wiper motor might be worth grabbing, and also the tailgate latch handle which tends to rust up and people want a replacement.

the ecu under the carpet on the passenger front footwell may be worth grabbing for those doing swaps

I'd probably pull the cam and crank position sensors, maybe the radiator, yes alternator, maybe some other sensors such as engine coolant temp sensor, the MAF if it has one, the coil pack, ignitor, most of that stuff should be the same between 96 and 99, though I think the Calif. emissions '99 had some weirdness to it.

Charcoal canister. Purge and solonoid valves. Switches, dash switches pop right out, power Windows and locks.. ecm (you never know). 02 sensors if they look new. Look over the brakes also. I once got 4 brand new calipers and rotors from the junkyard. God, I'd go nuts. !

You could grab the catalytic converter(s). Not sure if they would fit your car or not, but they are $$$ to replace.

Does the wrecker care how much you pull? You could essentially part the whole car out if you wanted... pull & re-sell everything that comes off! :D

Might as well grab the intake with all the sensors still on it. This is less work. The complete unit would be worth selling to someone doing an EJ swap for obd2 on a first gen engine. Tou can take it off in one piece and carry it with out. get the maf and the plumbing.

I agree with taking the exhaust pipe header that contains the cats back to the midpipe flange. This is valuable for a swap, or for scrap as the cats are worht weight in rare metals.

But the real value is you cannot buy one out of a junk yard (legally), and having a known good one is worth having as spare parts for the price (free)

though I think the Calif. emissions '99 had some weirdness to it.

you can say that again... I've had to learn about all the quirkyness of my cali emission 99 brighton, and I got it brand new in Va Beach! go figure

done thread jacking.

^^^^ all good suggestions!

For reference, this is roughly what the vehicle should look like when you are done.

gutted-subaru-1.jpggutted-subaru-2.jpg

may as well take the whole thing. LOL when emptied out turn it into a chicken coup. that's what folks in my area might do.

the struts are probably old, but if not they are a nice addition to the height of the brighton. it makes you car about 2 inces higher. they bolt right in springs and all. the adjustable height driver seat is also nice.

the older i get, the harder it is to drive, climb out of , a 95 legacy L. especially when i'm used to an outback.

wheels also if you like the look. but larger outback tires will affect your speedo.