Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yesterday it rained very hard here followed by a couple of inches of snow or so. I drove the car home during both and awoke to car with a windshield as wet on the inside as it was outside! This was a first for me. Of course I have occasional fog on the inside like anyone, but this was dew so heavy vision was not possible and the cloth to try it was sopped. The rest of the interior and glass was dry as a bone. The car ran fine, I am just a little puzzled to have that amount of water on the inside windshield. The heater was set to recirc and on hot and the windshield does not leak; nor Do I have a sun roof.

Any thoughts? Worry or no...

The heater was set to recirc ...

There's your problem, right there!

If there's moisture inside the car, the 'recirc' setting will trap it inside.

Use the 'fresh air' setting instead, even when it's wet or snowy outside. The car wil eventually dry out.

The only time that I use recirc, is to temporarily shut out bad smells.

turn on the defrost or AC, both will remove moisture from the air and eventually dry it out.

does your AC work?

moisture condenses on the warm moist side of the glass. change the temp or the moisture content and the condensation goes away.

it was probably just a freak set of conditions. i have had it happen to me.

turn on the defrost or AC, both will remove moisture from the air and eventually dry it out.

does your AC work?

moisture condenses on the warm moist side of the glass. change the temp or the moisture content and the condensation goes away.

it was probably just a freak set of conditions. i have had it happen to me.

AC works great and everything seems nice and dry at this point.

yeah its that time of year, still humid air, not the typical bone dry chill of iowa yet.

I am looking at my sunroom (dogs front porch) now and all the glass is covered in moisture on the inside this AM, not the usual sight.

It is kinda like a greenhouse, until the daytime temps get lower....

Let me guess, you got into your car with wet shoes maybe just once or multiple times. The water from your shoes soaks into the floor mats, the heater evaporates the moisture from the floor mats, which then condenses on the cold windshield. I have experienced this, so I recognize the problem.