Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ABS kill switch?

blk99obs

I was wondering how hard it would be to put in a kill switch for the ABS system, so like when I'm on snow or otherwise slippery off-roading I could disable it.

Any ideas?

I've always driven non-ABS cars anyway so thinkin about just tearing the whole system out, did it on a friend's prelude but this is an entirely different beast.

I'm not all that hot on how it all actually works, but I'm thinking if theres a power wire either into the ECU unit for it or the pump motor part, that I could tap into with a relay or just a simple switch, that would be pretty sweet.

Anyone done this? or have an idea of how I might go about it?

I think id rather have a disable switch, but tearing it out would drop some weight... With the hondas you pretty much yank the pump motor piece where all the brake lines go and replace it with a proportioning valve. Same deal here?

I know a lot of guys (with various different newer rigs, including an Outback) will just pull the ABS fuse once the group hits the dirt/snow. You then only have to stare at the red (B!) light.

ABS can be great. But yeah, I have seen it freak out in off road conditions and become a liability. I know on newer Jeeps it, along with any other electronic driving aids, gets shut off once you shift into 4LO. My mom has a Liberty diesel and it has a button on the dash to shut it off when you want as well.

Pull the fuse out... Just be warned though... If you crash, especially if you cause a lot of damage to someone else's car. They might go through your car with a fine toothed comb, if they find that fuse MISSING, they (the evil insurance people out to get you) might say it's all your fault and you're responsible. For this reason, it's a good idea to put a blown fuse in the ABS socket.

The ABS in my 98 LGT really annoys the hell out of me.

ok thanks guys, well im thinking in that case I may cut into a blown fuse, solder some wires on each side and hook up a switch so they make a closed circuit when the switch is on. :D

If you do that, be sure to put an inline fuse holder in the loop as well. ;)

pull the fuse. if you crash, put the fuse back in and blame it on the abs. YOu are more likely to crash with the abs working than you are with the fuse pulled. (in slow speeds down hill, pulling out of the driveway, etc)

just pull the fuse, its too simple and why be afraid of speculation) you either crash or you dont. maybe they will inspect the fuse for insurance if it is some high mortality fatal crash. but the abs wouldnt help you if you are driving in such a manner to cause such an event. One who worries more about the insurance finding out more than they do their own control of the car should not worry as much!

and one more thing, If you can't STOP, then STEER!

• 4 weeks later...

I cut my ABS lines to the sensors on the rear, I have an awesome ABS light on all the time now.I am to lazy to take the dash out again.

I was going to take the entire system out, but, after looking at how the brake lines are run i decided not to tackle it ....LOL

I would not have been able to keep/mount the sensors anyway, as I have rear discs from an older Lego.If I would have known that just stuffing them up in a cable tie would keep the light off, I would have done that.I also have most of the ABS plugs out of the unit under the hood.

The fuse is the non perm way to go.

I also disabled my airbags by unplugging the brain.

If you are doing some real offroading, you do not want one of those things goin off....

cheers

That's why they make small speed part stickers.....:)

Or a small square of electrical tape placed just right over the panel window so it at least blocks you from having to look at it while driving. :)

(Had an 80's Volvo that always had the "burnt out brake light" light on even though it had all new bulbs, that fixed it up nice)

I cannot stand having "friends" light up my dash and will pull all lights out to keep them away. I pulled my ABS fuses a while ago and pulled the bulb out so I wouldn't stare at my "friend". Wonderful to have no ABS on the Outback and being able to stop rather quickly with the 28s. I had looked into removing the whole ABS system from the car and putting another battery in it's place but found out the lines are routed through it in an X pattern and a big PITA to remove so I just pulled the plug and corresponding fuses/ bulb and called it a day. Much happier now and brakes work great and still take a little effort to lock up.

Going to pull my airbag sensors one of these days when I get around to it but got to investigate further.

If you want your ABS to go away, you don't need to wire a switch into the fuse box. Just use a normally closed button that opens when you push it. If you pull the fuse out, then put it back in the ABS still won't work till you power cycle the car.

Doing it this way has the advantage that next time you turn the car on your ABS will be working normally, so if you just shut it off to play around, or whatever, you won't forget it's off and expect to have it next time you drive the car.