Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 subaru gl 10 burning oil?

My 86 gl 10 started burning about a quart of oil every week at about the same time I blew a head gasket. I replaced the head gaskets and also did the cam seals. I checked cylinder walls and they look good. Gets good compression. And it still burns a quart every couple days. There is no sign of leakage on the driveway. Could I be leaking while I drive? Also the exhaust smells horrible. Maybe turbo burning the oil?

Edited by 86gl10

did you do the valve seals when you did the head gaskets. you would get oil burning on decel of they were bad.

check the PCV valve and all of its related hosing, as they can be clogged, and th engine will consume oil in the pcv system if it is out of whack.

Likely the turbo could be using it as well.

• 1 month later...

So I did the turbo. Nothing changed. There was oil in the pcv system so I replaced the valve. This also did not help. I can hardly drive the car cause im going through a quart every 100 miles. Im not leaving clouds of smoke but the exhaust does smell. I need some help. I checked for the leaks but nothing major. The oil is going somewhere. Could it be the oil pump? I do have what I think is a noisey valve train.