Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am going to help some friends change the transmission fluid and filter on their 98 OBW. It has 167k on it, and is developing a pretty significant hesitation and bump going from 1st to 2nd. I think they got it at just over 100K, had the transmission serviced, and never looked at it again.

I haven't been under it yet, but from what I can gather searching this board, the 98 may or may not have an external filter? Is that right?

If it does not, do I need to drop a pan to replace some kind of internal filter, or will a straight 3X drain and fill through the drain plug do the trick?

Also, should they just use a dextron III, or would there be any advantage to using the new ATF-HP?

Thanks.

If no external the drain and fills are all that's necessary. IIR not worth droppin ghte pan other than to look for material.

Also if you have the vin you may be able to call the dealer and ask if it has the external or not.

Personally I think I've only seen them starting in 99.

You can search for "delayed" here and find a long thread abotu folks having success with the additive but I forget if their symptoms are the symptoms you're having.

I own both a 98 and 99 OBWs. My 98 does not have the external filter, my 99 does have the external filter. Pretty sure that 99 was the first year for the external filter.

Suggest you do the drain and fill of ATF 3 times as others have suggested. Drive at least 10 minutes between drain and fills. IMO, the brand of ATF doesn't make any difference. Just use one that says it is the Dextron type.

I don't recommend dropping the pan to change the screen filter. I have never seen one clogged up. So, it is a waste of time dropping the pan. Besides, dropping the pan creates a problem of possibly creating an ATF leak at the pan, as the pans gasket has a tendency to leak afterwards.

I wrote the original thread on using Trans-X to fix "Delayed Forward Engagement" problem. Cars with that problem don't shift properly from R to D. It seems to affect only 99 and 00 model auto trannys that were built with a lazy seal. Trans-X makes that seal perform properly. I don't know if Trans-X will improve the 1 to 2 up shift. Lucas or other additive manufactures may have a better product to address your up shift problem.

I think I would change the ATF 3 times, and evaluate if the new and fresh ATF has improved the 1 to 2 up shift, before considering additives.

Also, be aware that the dip stick to check ATF level is graduated so that low to full is only about a pint quantity of fluid. Because of this, it is very easy to over fill the trany by pouring in too much ATF.

Good luck, and let us know how you are doing with this project.

I noticed that about the dipstick graduation on my 09. I like to keep things anally right at the full line. Sometimes I drive myself nuts. It only takes a little once you get above the hot low mark, and new fluid is hard to see. Couple that with some lining the tube, and it gets interesting.

On my car, I always check the level before I start and make sure it is full, always has been because it is pretty new. Then I carefully measure what I take out in a 1 quart measuring cup, and put exactly the same amount back in. Tedious, but you end up with a full tranny that isn't overfilled again.

Just a quick update. We did the 3X D&F with regular Dextron III. The whole transmission feels MUCH smoother, but she is still getting a little bump starting out from a stop. The car moves forward right away, but when it upshifts to 2nd, it is a little rough. It's not terrible, but it isn't right. The husband thinks the car has done that since they owned it, the wife thinks it's new. In this case, neither is car savvy at all, but the wife wants to learn. Actually she did the last two drain and fills while I watched and poured the old fluid into containers. She wants to learn to change the oil now.

I haven't had a chance to drive it again to see how much improvement there is. I'm not an additive guy, but maybe they should try something.

And there was no external filter. Must be just 99's. Thanks for all the help. If something more comes up, I'll let you know.

additives will not help. there is only one situation where an additive is recommended and that is for a ''slow to engage'' for the 99 - 01 auto trans.

it is possible that the trans is getting ''told'' to shift up. there are several engine things that contribute to trans shifting including the TPS, throttle position sensor.

i don't know enough to help beyond this, but don't assume it is all a trans issue.

how does the engine run?

has there been any recent service to the engine?

how long have you had the car?

how does it do if you start with the shifter in 1 and manually shift to 2 and 3?

when the shifter is in 1 it will start in 1 and stay in 1.

when the shifter is in 2 it will start in 2 and stay in 2. it will never start in 1 or shift up to 3.

in 3 it will start in 1 and shift up to 2 and 3.

Edited by johnceggleston

It's not my car, but they have probably had it four years or so. The engine seemed to run fine, I didn't notice any issues. Oh, they did recently have an 0400, EGR code. Got it cleared and it has not come back yet. But nothing was done to address the source of that problem.

Next time I get a chance I'll experiment with shifting in manually.