Ultimate Subaru Message Board

no more cloudy antifreeze?

82 GL.

I flushed my coolant this fall trying to get the heat working for winter and found the replacement antifreeze was cloudy and oily. Leaky head gasket, right? I put on my big-boy pants and was ramping up to do the deed and was really surprised when I opened the radiator cap. No more cloudy, oily antifreeze! I've got my fingers crossed that the subie fairies brought an early present, but am weary to get too excited. Any thoughts?

Also, I still want to backflush the heater core to get that sweet heat that started this whole process. I think I can flush it in the dash with a garden hose/hose clamp rig. Anybody know what I'm talking about or tried this? Merry Christmas!!!!:drunk:

Garden hose works good for flushing the heater core. But I wouldn't clamp it.

Pull both hoses off at the engine side and hold the garden hose to each one by hand only. Switch between each hose after a minute or two.

Your house water pressure is way above what the system is designed for, you could cause damage if you clamp it to a hose and there is major blockage/resistance to flow thru the core.

Yeah, why cause an issue if you can avoid it.

If it truly is clogged, you're not going to do much in improving flow really. But,,, there is that chance that you could do so.

That's why one should swap the "feed hose" between both lines multiple times. You "just may" clear the blockage..

Then again,,, if you put 35 plus PSI against a system that's blocked and only "rated" for 13-18 PSI in hopes of clearing it out, and you actually split a seam, what did you gain?

NADTA!!!

The heater core hose flush helped, and some really funky stuff came out, but the heat's still not hot. My wife's looking for something a little closer to :Flame:

I think the flush would work for a little clog, but a new core might be the way to go for 30 years of service. Thanks for all the advice.

both of the heater hoses are hot and the upper and lower rad hoses are hot, so i think the thermostat is working. Like the replacement heater core, I think it's oem spec, but not an original subie part. if they're next to impossible to get, i'll have to make due with what i can get.

i spent a little time searching "heater core" on the board, but didn't find anything very interesting. can you add some links to the threads that raise your concern. either way, i'll be extra careful no to damage the original when i'm taking it out. there's a shop down the street that still fixes radiator. maybe they can get the original core back in service.

The heater core hose flush helped, and some really funky stuff came out, but the heat's still not hot. My wife's looking for something a little closer to :Flame:

I think the flush would work for a little clog, but a new core might be the way to go for 30 years of service. Thanks for all the advice.

\

\

can you get a vacuum crevice tool or brush on it? Could be really blocked with debris reducing airflow.