Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru ECM's just don't go bad or be an issue.

I have a VW diesel and a lot of those folks service their glow plug harness with that stuff and it seems to work well for them at that.

I was asking because a friend has an Izuzu Pup Pickup and they think it is the ECM. $340 for a new one. THe truck idles for a while and then just shuts off like someone turned the key off. It dies going down the hiway also.

Yes I have a TDI Jetta and I bought the Deoxit for my glow plug 's and harness and it worked great.

When an ECU goes bad (and this is very rare) it's typically because of a wireing short or reversed battery cables. The other failures I've seen have been transistor amp circuit failures (mostly TCU's) and no amount of cleaning contacts will repair burnt components. I have many Subaru ECU's from the early 80's that are still 100% functional. They are of much superior quality to the German and Mitsubishi stuff :cool:.

GD

When an ECU goes bad (and this is very rare) it's typically because of a wireing short or reversed battery cables. The other failures I've seen have been transistor amp circuit failures (mostly TCU's) and no amount of cleaning contacts will repair burnt components. I have many Subaru ECU's from the early 80's that are still 100% functional. They are of much superior quality to the German and Mitsubishi stuff :cool:.

GD

Thanks for the info. Most likely he reversed the cables jumping it. He has blown engines out of 2 cars and threw a rod in another. He doesn't have a clue how cars work but will always tell you he knows everything. Son-in-law.

I don't think he could find a dip stick if it was fire engine red.

I was asking because a friend has an Izuzu Pup Pickup and they think it is the ECM. $340 for a new one. THe truck idles for a while and then just shuts off like someone turned the key off. It dies going down the hiway also.

Yes I have a TDI Jetta and I bought the Deoxit for my glow plug 's and harness and it worked great.

Maybe check around on an Isuzu newsgroup or general auto - perhaps those vehicles have a known intermittent crank angle sensor or relay or.... that is well known. My daughter had a 90 maxima that would stall out intermittently. i asked on a nissan newsgroup, a nissan tech suggested a relay that fixed the car!, then I sent him a sixpack of Lonestar beer via UPS!

true story

Maybe check around on an Isuzu newsgroup or general auto - perhaps those vehicles have a known intermittent crank angle sensor or relay or.... that is well known. My daughter had a 90 maxima that would stall out intermittently. i asked on a nissan newsgroup, a nissan tech suggested a relay that fixed the car!, then I sent him a sixpack of Lonestar beer via UPS!

true story

I think I will do that. I don't know why I try so hard to figure out things for others. I guess it is just a challenge.

I understand the challenge. I'm becoming fairly well known around my area and here on the board for electrical stuff. I rather enjoy the challenge also.

As Texan mentioned - there's all kinds of quirky model specific things that can go wrong. Honda has this "main relay" under the dash that likes to have the same problems as the older Subaru clocks where the solder joints shrink and crack. The fix is the same also - remelt the solder joints.

Remember than the Pup is better known as the Chevy Luv. There are probably more forums for those.

GD

Thanks for the info. Most likely he reversed the cables jumping it. He has blown engines out of 2 cars and threw a rod in another. He doesn't have a clue how cars work but will always tell you he knows everything. Son-in-law.

I don't think he could find a dip stick if it was fire engine red.

I know people like that. You could give them a hamster ball to drive around and they would find a way to break or disable it. Then they bring it to you and claim it's the machine's fault or blame their tools/work environment or the alignment of the heavens. It's NEVER their ignorance or plain stupidity. :rolleyes:

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I know people like that. You could give them a hamster ball to drive around and they would find a way to break or disable it. Then they bring it to you and claim it's the machine's fault or blame their tools/work environment or the alignment of the heavens. It's NEVER their ignorance or plain stupidity. :rolleyes:

GD

I lived in the Denver CO area most of my life and always wanted to move to a quiet small town area. I did 19 years ago and now when I see people do things that are stupid I just tell the wife. Born and raised here.

Street smarts and common sense don't mix here.