Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is my overheating 99 legacy worth?

99 subaru legacy brighton

167k miles

Newer clutch, (20k miles)

5 spd manual,

runs except that it overheats going up big hills or when exiting the highway.

Even if it was a simple fix like a radiator fan (which I have ruled out) The car has been overheated atleast 8 times and probably needs a rebuild.

Is it worth $1,000? $750?

Just trying to get a general idea. Do parts subarus have a higher value than other junker cars?

I would LOVE to rebuild it myself, but i've heard that even the pro's hate rebuilding these engines. I can barely change a timing belt on my mazda....

Thanks!!!!!!!

if those symptoms are accurate, you simply need a new radiator. a couple overheats, while a really bad idea on any car, particularly one that's 10+ years old - does not mean the car is toast. the engine might be totally fine and easily capable of another relatively inexpensive 100,000 miles, i wouldn't toss it out just yet.

aftermarket thermostats are generally weak so if it's ever had one of those installed in it's lifetime i'd get that thing out of there as well. 2 bolts and a $12 part, not a big deal.

if you're hesitant still at looking into it further - at the very least do this:

1. test for hydrocarbons in the coolant. any mechanic can do it or get a kit at the auto parts store and do it yourself. it's as simple as pulling coolant out of the radiator and testing it with the little kit. requires no tools or skills really.

this would be the most likely way to test this engine for a headgasket failure. they tend to pass other headgasket "tests".

radiatorbarn.com has brand new radiators for like $80-$90 shipped to your door and they're super easy to replace.

a couple 10mm bolts for the reservoir and fans and 2 12mm bolts for the radiator, it's a really easy job. a mechanic should not be charging much to do it.

as to value - that car would easily sell for $1,000 here - even $1,500 - $2,000. i'd give $1,500 for it right now without seeing it if you were close.

if there's known engine damage - then $500 - $1,000 might be more realistic price.

if those symptoms are accurate, you simply need a new radiator. a couple overheats, while a really bad idea on any car, particularly one that's 10+ years old - does not mean the car is toast. the engine might be totally fine and easily capable of another relatively inexpensive 100,000 miles, i wouldn't toss it out just yet.

aftermarket thermostats are generally weak so if it's ever had one of those installed in it's lifetime i'd get that thing out of there as well. 2 bolts and a $12 part, not a big deal.

if you're hesitant still at looking into it further - at the very least do this:

1. test for hydrocarbons in the coolant. any mechanic can do it or get a kit at the auto parts store and do it yourself. it's as simple as pulling coolant out of the radiator and testing it with the little kit. requires no tools or skills really.

this would be the most likely way to test this engine for a headgasket failure. they tend to pass other headgasket "tests".

radiatorbarn.com has brand new radiators for like $80-$90 shipped to your door and they're super easy to replace.

a couple 10mm bolts for the reservoir and fans and 2 12mm bolts for the radiator, it's a really easy job. a mechanic should not be charging much to do it.

as to value - that car would easily sell for $1,000 here - even $1,500 - $2,000. i'd give $1,500 for it right now without seeing it if you were close.

if there's known engine damage - then $500 - $1,000 might be more realistic price.

It also received a new radiator the first time it over heated. It has seen 3 different mechanics in the past that could not figure out what is causing this. That was back when the problem was minor. Now it is parked so it won't over heat again. I thought for sure I solved the problem when I noticed the radiator fan fuse had blown out. I will get that test. Will it still be accurate if it hasn't been driven for a couple months?

I should mention, it also slowly loses coolant, but the coolant is going somewhere...likely burning off or something...heh

99 subaru legacy brighton

167k miles

Newer clutch, (20k miles)

5 spd manual,

runs except that it overheats going up big hills or when exiting the highway.

Even if it was a simple fix like a radiator fan (which I have ruled out) The car has been overheated atleast 8 times and probably needs a rebuild.

Is it worth $1,000? $750?

Just trying to get a general idea. Do parts subarus have a higher value than other junker cars?

I would LOVE to rebuild it myself, but i've heard that even the pro's hate rebuilding these engines. I can barely change a timing belt on my mazda....

Thanks!!!!!!!

It's all relative. I would buy it for $1000 knowing that I would have to put a gasket set and probably a timing kit for good measure; turn around and sell it for $3k or better.

I don't know any "pros" who hate rebuilding the engines. They're super easy to work on; in my opinion. Assuming I had all the parts and pieces to go through it, I could pull it, go through it, and stab it back in within a weekend. That's a leisurely pace too.

What's your level of mechanical experience?

i haven't heard much about 2.2 phase 2 head gasket either but if you crawl under the car and you got oil coming from between the head and block its going to be your head gasket.

Im in corvallis if you decide to sell your car let me know. also if you decide to do it yourself i can lend a hand.

#1 thing That I would do.. take the thermostat out and run it no thermo just to see if it over heats..(obv you wouldn't run a car like this long term) if not than obv its the thermo not opening.

however if it does still over heat my first thought would be that somewhere in the coolant system there may be an air pocket. That was what I found after replacing nearly everything on an old honda I had. Another idea it maybe a headgasket.. i'm hoping not but it could likely be...If that is still not it keep us posted!