Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all!

I've been member for some time now but never had the time to write anything here especially after my Leone rotted away couple of months ago. i have been reading the forum occasionally and dreaming about owning a subaru again.

so today at 5am i was drinking my morning coffee and getting ready for work when i noticed that somebody near me is selling a '92 legacy STW with 2,2litre engine and dual-range manual transmission. so i thought this is the right time to sell my vw mk2 golf (witch i'we been stuck with ever since my leone was sold) and buy me a subaru again. the car has little bit of rust here and there but nothing serious. it has been maintained regularely and the guy who is selling it showed me the original warranty certificate and user manuals (dated back to 1992) and looooooong list of what has been done or replaced to the car. everything seems to be taken care of. timing belt has been replaced @330 000 (205 052miles) and oils and filters+spark plugs are replaced earlier this month (everything is written down or the receipt has been saved)

so the question is, should i buy it (the price is 900euros witch isnt really bad price (1160 USD)

only thing im worried about is it has such a high milage. coud i run into some serious problems soon after buying this car? its been driven 370000km (229000mi)

i'we read that hthe 2,2 engine has good reputation as a reliable engine. -is it?

i really want a subaru again and now is the change pecause people in finland appreciate AWD cars and they are quite expencive here.

as i'm writing this i'm getting more and more certain that i am going to buy this car tomorrow :D :D we'll see how it goes, there were lots of people interested of the same car :D

Welcome aboard, ketkuFIN. Depends on the overall condition of the car, but I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage. My son drives a '92 Legacy (EJ22 engine, manual tranny) with similar mileage . . . and I swear it runs better than my '95 Legacy, EJ22, manual tranny, with lower miles!!!

Use your best judgment about the vehicle but the EJ22 is a wonderfully simple, durable engine.

Good luck. :)

Complete service records are worth their weight in gold. I would not really consider a car, even this one you were interested in, with that much mileage unless there was a detailed paper trail like you describe. If you feel the price is fair then your risks are reduced as far as knowledge of the maintenance. The 2,2 has been know to easily get well past 300+ miles on a maintained engine.

http://www.nettiauto.com/subaru/legacy/4490345#adInfo

Thank you all for your responses :)

it think there is lots of vagons here with dual range manual transmission (maybe all 2.2l models as i havent really came across one without it) here is a link to the site where he sells it, im sure there is a button that turns the language to english somewhere on the site. it,s a great site, i have bought all of my cars from there :D

Sure it has a dual range transmission? on a Legacy AWD? My1991 Subaru Legacy AWD, 2.2L has 331K, fitted with 5spd manual trans, no hi Lo, which I recall were on the mid eighties GL, maybe different world markets.:popcorn:

Everywhere (well not really, but alot of places) outside the US got dual range EJ's, so yes he is correct in what he says. We Americans just drool and dream about the dual range EJ...

The higher milage isn't something I would worry about either. That motor is just barely broke in! :) Just like anything, use your best judgement. Even though these soobies have a GREAT track record, there are bad ones kicking around, so make sure you do your homework on the car, and if it all checks out, most likely it will run for another 200K!

Good luck man!

Yes! Bought it :D

Took a little look on the paper pile and i found out it has somwhat .new shock absorbers and brakes. new exhaust system, all lubricants and fluids has been changed few months ago and lots of other stuff and the seller had receipt for everything :D turned out that the car is imported from russia. by a guy who lives in finland but works at russia :0

thw car itself runs great and no extra noises are heard. the body isn't so bad but it has some rust on it...

the transmission works as it should and low-range works too.

Only thing that doesn't work is the central-door-locking-thingy (i can't remember what it was in english :D ) but i will take a look into it tomorrow...

Thank you all for the responses and great community :)

Yes! Bought it :D

Took a little look on the paper pile and i found out it has somwhat .new shock absorbers and brakes. new exhaust system, all lubricants and fluids has been changed few months ago and lots of other stuff and the seller had receipt for everything :D turned out that the car is imported from russia. by a guy who lives in finland but works at russia :0

thw car itself runs great and no extra noises are heard. the body isn't so bad but it has some rust on it...

the transmission works as it should and low-range works too.

Only thing that doesn't work is the central-door-locking-thingy (i can't remember what it was in english :D ) but i will take a look into it tomorrow...

Thank you all for the responses and great community :)

In English, we say the central door locking thingy is known as a key fob. If indeed, you are referring to the small hand held remote used to lock/unlock the driver's door. Replacing the battery in the fob may fix the problem. Congrats on a nice buy!

I never realized that it was so north :D i'seen a map like billion times but now when somebody says, yes, it's a bit north but it isn't so bad in here, we get nice hot summers (+30°C) and nice winters to play with our subarus :D but the roads are open all winter and we are kinda used to snow :P

PS. i think it is the electronic chip in the key witch is broken.... i tested the battery and i got 3,2Volts so it isn't the battery i think. -should it be working with infra-red like a tv-remote? I have bunch of old tv-remotes lying around so maybe i can scavenge them for parts and try to get it working..

Oh, I let my girlfriend try our legacy and she said it feels like flying when driving it and we have to get rid of her opel and she wants a subaru too :D

Hello again.

instead of starting a new thread, i decided to ask here instead.

I got the key fob working by accidentally dropping it on the floor.

the problem is, when i press the button when doors are unlocked they lock (as they should) but when they are already locked and i press the button to open them, they lock again. there is very little time to pull the handle to open a door (maybe a second or less) and if one door is opened the rest of them are still locked o.O also only the driver's side door is locked/unlocked when i manually use the key to lock or unlock the door.

is it supposed to work like this? (everybody grab a handle, i press the button 3... 2... 1... NOW! :D :D)

anyone had this happened before?

what may be causing it? haven't yet opened the door panels but the fuses seemed alright...

(thank god for google spell check, as without it, this would be horrible to read to you guys :D)

High mileage is not a bad thing, as these cars are known for going 300 and 400,000 mi on the original engines.

If you look at it this way, you bought another 100,000 miles with the timing belt having already been replaced. Look in the service papers to see when the water pump was done. Usually the original unit will last about 225,000 miles before it fails, so if it was done within 100,000 miles ago, then it should last the next 100,000 miles or more.

congratulations!