Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oxygen sensor replacement question

I need to replace the upstream, i.e. pre-cat, o2 sensor. One supplier lists some (e.g. Bosch) as "OE Type," and others (e.g. Denso) as "OE Style." What should I get? Does it make any difference? TIA. 2000 OBW, 4cyl, automatic trans., 155k.

Edited by J A Blazer
typo

various opinions here. some say OEM only, some say that or Bosch....some say who cares.

i'd leans towards OEM or the OEM brand (Bosch i think?) the newer the car is - like 2000+. prior to that i might drift more depending on the vehicle, condition, issues, etc.

Also, I realize that at least for my car, the upstream sensor is technically referred to as an "air/fuel sensor". But I still don't understand why the dealer wants three times the price at which I can get it online.

Edited by J A Blazer
clarification

But I still don't understand why the dealer wants three times the price at which I can get it online.

A: Because they can get away with it! Most of the parts in these (and most) cars are off-the-shelve components, packaged in nicely stamped boxes (or bags), but since people don't know better they end up paying big money for anything.

Case in point: the bulbs for the dashboard are 50 cents a pop at Digikey (and they are already making a profit), while the same bulb at a dealer is $3 or so. Of course they need to pay for the B&M store, but come on...:mad:

When I changed mine about 3 months ago I used the Denso one on rockauto.. the one that is the OE one direct fit.

It's perfect.. I still have the old one sitting on my desk funny thing is the sensor was fine but it was worth it to replace it anyways after 233K