Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Impreza Outback Sport Radiator Replacement - options

OK, when it rains it pours... so it seems the radiator is leaking and I need to replace. I see I cana order a factory online for a few hundred but that seems steep. I see several aftermarket ones that are not too bad at 100 or so...

Any good aftermarket ones or even a performance one that is good and cheap of course :grin:

I ordered from a place out of ph book on a 800#, for my 97 honda odyssey. I compared it to the one in van & looked way wimpy. Did not want to chance the install (I complained) & they refunded my $. So I went to my Advance auto prts , & asked to look at replacement & it looked looked OE or a great copy & they have lifetime warrentee. So I took it & thats been a little over a year ago with no problems. In that same time I replaced my Ford diesel powersrtoke with another Advance radiator & I am pleased. My .02

On edit; I just looked at replacing head light bulbs & saw green weeping at top crimp of rad, & not the upper hose leaking down. Bummer! Looks like I'll be calling tomorrow am for a rad also. Wish there was a way to tighten crimps.

Edited by bork

well I picked up the one at Advance & it looks tweeked/twisted like it was dropped on corner, but no signs off actual damage. Debaiting , & favoring not to install. Dont want to do twice. (lifetime warrentee or not.) Is there any temp sealers that are ok to use to buy time. I told dude at counter , to bring in another & none in stock, nor at distributor!:banghead:

So now after seeing Radiator Barn delivers to door for a better price! Hmmmm, anyone else use the Barn? Feedback please.

well I picked up the one at Advance & it looks tweeked/twisted like it was dropped on corner, but no signs off actual damage. Debaiting , & favoring not to install. Dont want to do twice. (lifetime warrentee or not.) Is there any temp sealers that are ok to use to buy time. I told dude at counter , to bring in another & none in stock, nor at distributor!:banghead:

So now after seeing Radiator Barn delivers to door for a better price! Hmmmm, anyone else use the Barn? Feedback please.

i wouldn't use it if it really was tweaked, it's only plastic and aluminum.

radiatorbarn is well known and popularly used.

use the search function for "radiatorbarn" here or any other subaru or vehicle forum. 64 hits on here.

another option is to google the part number/brand of the radiator if you want to try to save another buck.

or check ebay.