Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wanting a brat, need some info...

So I have a 1983 go wagon...340,000miles :) and love it. Lately I have been wanting to get a brat but I don't know what years had what or what different generations are what so some info would help. Some questions such as,

Engines

how the 4x4 engages (I want hi-lo, and fwd with the lever like my wagon)

what years had the cool rumble seats

how available small lifts are (2" is what I want for a neat little off roader)

Ect...

1981 and older are the first generation of the Brat.

263941_245571578793404_100000216909175_1209882_1045066_n.jpg

If you are looking for a dual range 4wd (hi and lo) I believe just the 1981 gl came with that. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

These will be harder to find than a second generation Brat.

1982-1987 Is the second generation.

('82)

279909_245571295460099_100000216909175_1209873_3061475_o.jpg

('83 & up)

258361_235551776462051_100000216909175_1186011_8203251_o.jpg

The gl trim levels all came with dual range 4wd if it was a 4 speed manual. Jumpseats were available up until 1985, '85 being the last year.

The second gereration uses the 4wd lever just like your ea81 wagon. The first generation uses another shifter-like lever next to the gear selector (shifter).

Edited by 6 Star

All BRATs had four-wheel drive and the Subaru EA engine. Early models received a 1.6L EA-71 whereas 1981 and later models received a 1.8 L EA-81 engine. 1983 and 1984 models could be purchased with an optional 94***hp (70***kW) turbocharged engine. Manual transmissions were standard on all models and an automatic transmission was available on turbocharged BRATs. 1980 and earlier models had a single-range transfer case, while 1981 and later GL models had a dual range transfer case (DLs still had single range) and all turbocharged models were equipped with an automatic transmission with single range push-button four-wheel drive.

Straight from wikipedia...

• 2 weeks later...
Is there anything different to the 4x4/axles/struts...(other then the shifter like 4x4) because I have extra parts for the gl wagon, and if they fit on the gen 1 and gen 2 that would be awesome.

Also difference in how to lift them (2").

Early EA81 wagons ('82 to '84) used the same axles (except for the turbo versions). '82 to '87 EA81 Hatch used many of the same parts (fenders, doors, engine, transmission and rear diff).

Is there anything different to the 4x4/axles/struts...(other then the shifter like 4x4) because I have extra parts for the gl wagon, and if they fit on the gen 1 and gen 2 that would be awesome.

Also difference in how to lift them (2").

Early EA81 wagons ('82 to '84) used the same axles (except for the turbo versions). '82 to '87 EA81 Hatch used many of the same parts (fenders, doors, engine, wheels, transmission and rear diff). More parts are interchangeable. Just need to be specific and ask.

Yet another question...what year brats came with an extra headlight right in the center of the grill? There is one for sale near me

82' only. The later models 83-87 (quad head light) did not.

85 was the last year of the jump seats and the first year of the hydro lifters and larger valve heads.

On this forum there used to be a Subies of the 80's data page with pics and specs...Tried searching and could not find it. That had a ton of info on it that would answer a lot of your questions....

anybody know where that portion of the forum went?

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone has their own prefferences... I think it just comes down to finding one in good condition in your area. Try finding ones that are as rust-free as possible. A Brat is a Brat. If you find a good base you can always add a cyclops light or jumpseats later. Have you started hunting yet?

Hunting is an understatement Haha. If brats were women I would have been thrown in jail months ago. I have been looking for 84-87 brats and have only found 3, but I have literally found tons of first gens (well around 15 id say). They are everywhere here in CO. Craigslist/newspaper/local deals...so I might just pick up a first gen and swap the 1.8 engine in...

Also every single first gen that I have found is completly stock!