Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'87 Standard 4WD Hatchback curb weight?

Well, it looks like my hatch may be going to the scrap yard to be crushed after my accident. Not surprisingly, the car was deemed to be a total loss. The insurance company offered me $800 for the car, but if I want to keep the car they would give me $700. I am trying to find the curb weight of the car to see how much I can get for it at the scrap yard, but it isn't listed in the owner's manual and it isn't listed on the metal plate in the door jamb. Does anyone know what the curb weight is for this car or where I can find this info? The scrap yard is currently paying $275/ton for a complete car with title. I hate to see the car go like this, but the car is not fixable and I am not able to find another hatchback body in good shape within a reasonable driving distance to swap the parts into.

wow insurance companies are the biggest scam out there. 800 for a reliable car, with 4wd and good gas mileage. What do they expect you to find to replace it with those basic things for 800?

I would be complaining to them fore double that hodge podge price.

I would be complaining to them fore double that hodge podge price.

+1

You have no obligation to accept any offer of theirs unless you feel satisfied. I was referring to getting to keep the car.

Didn't you find examples to show the insurance company?

As long as you don't accept any of their offers, all they can do is keep upping their offer, especially if you have evidence its worth more.

I made that point to them. I said the car has been well maintained and I have receipts to prove it. And I said there is no way I can replace the car for $800. The guy then got an attitude with me and said they will not go any higher than $800 unless it goes to arbitration and the actual cash value is shown to be more than $800. He said, "$800 is more than fair for a 25-year old rusty car."

I have been looking around for other similar cars for sale and it has been very difficult to find any.
All the more reason to keep negotiating. I know it's difficult to find one since they are so rare, but I think that with the adjuster copping an attitude there's more here than meets the eye. Can you share with us what insurance company you are dealing with? Have you gotten any information from the insurance commissioner in your state as to how to determine actual cash value. Also, has anyone else ever gone to arbitration? Strikes me as odd since that was never an option when we were dealing with the company on our claim with the Brat. If anything, I would think that an arbitrator would compromise UP on your case, not down. In any event, you still need comparables to present to the arbitrator. It all depends how long you want to keep fighting this battle. You have until the statute of limitations (which in my state is 3 years). Trust me, the insurance company will not like keeping a settlement open like this for that long.

Here, I did a search here on the USMB for Hatchbacks in the Vehicles For Sale forum. I found three over $1500 in the first ten hits. Maybe a PM will get you a statement as to whether it sold or not and for how much. Better yet, just print out the first post and let the insurance company do the work of checking it out. I'd willing to bet there are lots more listed here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/search.php?searchid=1416827

The point is your car is quite rare and it will take time to find a replacement for it. But in the meantime you deserve to get a fair price for it; not some lowball figure that a contentious adjuster tries to con you into. Fight to the end!!!

Edited by edrach

Thanks edrach. I printed off that first post to give to the insurance company (Allstate).
Allstate is good. The bigger the better; and you have recourse to another adjuster. No need for him to cop an attitude since he's just a working stiff.

Someday, I'll regale you with my story trying to claim a fair compensation for our 1969 BMW (of course this was in 1971) while dealing with Allstate.

Back to topic, it's in Allstate's interest to get claims off the table in a prompt and fair manner. You can certainly ask them to get you another adjuster who will not "cop an attitude" over your asking for fair compensation for a loss. Collect as many comparables as you can from the URL (there are more); forget the ones under $800 (that's Allstate's job). If it goes to arbitration, the arbitrator will average your comparables to Allstate's and then "split the difference." In either case, you'll get more than what they're offering now. Also enter NADA, KBB, and others' valuations; they might not be applicable to Allstate, but they'll carry weight since that's how car dealer's set their prices for used cars. And fair cash value for your car is what it would have cost you to buy another '87 Hatch.

Edited by edrach

Did you get a rental car out of them? If not, they owe you for lack-of-use until they actually write you a check for your settlement. Varies from state to state, but they often have to give you a comparable rental, which means finding an AWD rental car.

To answer your question, though, the curb weight is probably about 2000lbs. If I were you, though, I'd strip off the valuable parts before scrapping it.

Edited by Cyfun

I was looking here for specs on a '87 Hatchback. Unfortunately, I didn't find the curb weight here, but the low retail price for this model is $2100 (Hopefully I found the correct version of Hatchback); add it to your list of comparables. Also, in the fine print it says to get a carfax/autochk report since it supports the established cash values that they list. If you haven't done it yet, do it now (easy to get a free one since someone else here in the board has listed a free vin check link. http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1987/Subaru/GL/3-Door-Hatchback/Values

Thanks everyone for your help. I plan on standing firm on this so I don't get screwed on this deal. I was guessing the car weighed a little over 2000 lbs. I think I may buy it back from the insurance company and keep it for a while to see if I can come across another hatch. Maybe I'll get lucky.

The hatchbrat idea sounds pretty cool. But even if I did that, there is some serious unibody damage to the car. The rear wheel on the passenger side is cocked in and the unibody is diamonded. Really sucks, but my only options are to find a donor body or take it to the crusher. :( And in this area of the country a donor body is probably not going to show up. Around here all these cars rusted away years ago. I called several junk yards and they all pretty much laughed at me. One place said I would be lucky to find a mid 90s Outback, much less an 80s hatchback.

I will offer my hatchie in the next few weeks if I get my leads on the next one.

Ohio is not that far away, and amtrak runs from Chicago to here. So if my leads turn up, and you were interested then you would take amrtak here I would make sure you got it back there to your home.

only had it for 2 months, but have already driven 2k miles on it. It is a good one.

Or I would consider driving it there for a fee of my gas, my amtrak back, and a meal.

Edited by bheinen74