Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can you use an ej clutch with an ea transmission?

85wagon

I thought i'd read somewhere that you can use an EJ clutch when installing a 2.2 onto an ea tranny, i've looked and cant find the info, so maybe it doesn't exist. so what im saying.. is can i get a "better"/ceramic clutch when i put an ej 2.2 into my 86 wagon that has the EA dual range 5 speed? i know i need to get an xt6 pressure plate i'd like the extra pull of a ceramic clutch, i put a center force stage 1 clutch kit in my ford that has the straight 6 with a 4 speed and it solved all of my stalling/ bogging/burning of the clutch.. that's why im curious if i can do this to my subaru, with the amount of uphill driving i do it would help....

try searching..........

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125166&page=2

Yes buy the exedy clutch I have one in my ej swapped wagon running a D/R tranny works fantastic feels 100x better then the stock clutch. they are like $150 bucks on amazon.com and i got mine in like 2 days with free shipping that is your best bet and easiest by far.

I cant find the exact one I purchased it was a while back but do a bit of research

try this one..... not sure if its the right part number tho

http://www.amazon.com/EXEDY-15009-OEM-Replacement-Clutch/dp/B001B59432/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1326270274&sr=1-2

Edited by 88Subi4x4

You can use an EJ clutch disk. But you have to use an EA pressure plate and throughout bearing. And it's the pressure plate that offers the clamping force. IMHO the extra cost of piecing together a clutch kit won't be worth the minimal gains.

A Beck/Arnley XT6 kit holds up to an EJ22 wonderfully.

You can use an EJ clutch disk. But you have to use an EA pressure plate and throughout bearing. And it's the pressure plate that offers the clamping force. IMHO the extra cost of piecing together a clutch kit won't be worth the minimal gains.

A Beck/Arnley XT6 kit holds up to an EJ22 wonderfully.

All true, I had a Imp clutch disk in my EJ swapped RX using a XT6 PP and flywheel.

But it didnt hold up all that well to the increased torque from my upgrades......EJ22T with TD04, etc. :-p

For a single range trans, you CAN use the gears, Diff, and 4wd (rear) sections from it inside an EJ case (front sections)

Then you need no adapter, and can use any EJ Flywheel and Clutches.

This cannot be done with a D/R trans. The Upper shafts are different, and won't go into an EJ case. *Unless you could get an E/J dual range case from outside USDM