Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1.8 popping at the throttle body...

when car is under load its popping back at the throttle body and loses power. then the tranny tries to compensate for the power loss and wants to shift back and forth out of over drive. no check engine light or smoke. any advice would be helpful...its a 95 impreza l non turbo.

Here is a list of things to check:

Timing

Timing belt condition

Spark plugs

Also clean the MAF sensor(buy the cleaner made for it) and the throttle body(there is a cleaner made for this also) and while cleaning the throttle body look for anything foreign in there with a flash light.

Also make sure your check engine light hasn't been disabled. There are two wires under the dash with a green connector I believe. Plug them together and see if the check engine light comes on.

I replaced the plugs yesterday with NGK plugs and the check engine light comes on and goes off with the ignition switch. I cleaned the MAF and the throttle body also, helped but not fixed. Can anybody please tell me how to adjust the timing? This is my first subie...Oh, and by the way today when I put the car in Park, it doesnt want to come out of park. Its done this a few times now..maybe inhibitor switch? Thats what ive been told but local parts store cant even get them...Any help is greatly appreciated..:confused

The timing is not really adjustable, it's either dead on or off a tooth (or more).

I've had the 'won't come out of park' thing on a few of my soobs. Usually I just jam a pen in the override slot and leave it that way. It can be the little solenoid is sticky for the release, or like you said the inhibitor switch, since I think it fires that solenoid only in park and maybe neutral.

If a valve is burnt it needs to be removed. Depending on severity you may be able to lap it back into shape but a better choice is to replace it, along with all the others.

Check the timing first. On the front of the engine there are 3 covers. Remove them and make sure the marks line up. There should be a guide somewhere you can look at. If the timing is good then its tear down time.

The 1.8 is a tough engine. It is an under bored 2.2 so the cylinder walls are extra thick. It's rated at 110 bhp and about 70-80 whp. Very few have head gasket issues. Also they are non-interference so if you break a timing belt you still have a good engine. Many people ask how to get more power out of it. You don't. Just swap a earlier 2.2 in as it is plug and play. I get 28-33 mpg depending on the season and how I drive.

Your probably wonder if rebuilding it is worth it.

How many miles are on it?

Is the body of the car in good condition?

Do you want more power or think you need more due to hills?

If you do then consider a 2.2 swap as you will need to pull the engine to do the repairs anyway.

if i have a burnt valve can i use some kind of cleaner to clean it or is that a tear down fix?

Pull the inspection covers and verify the timing belt first.

burned valve would be an all the time thing, not occassional unless it's just starting.

the ej18 is a great engine, it just has limited horse power.

they take a lot of abuse and they don't usually have issue with head gaskets or burnt valves. they have HLAs which means you don't have to adjust the valves, ever. and they get good fuel economy. and they are non-interference.

it may be a better fit with a manual trans where you can wind it out if you want, i don't really know. in europe in the early 90s the legacy came with an ej18 but in the US only it only came in the imprezas.

it is a great engine. fix the timing , change the oil and drive it 150k more miles. or just until your other car is back on the road and then either sell it to a college student or keep it for winter.

My car is a 1.8 fwd impreza 5 speed. It moves right along if you drive it right. Being fwd its more like driving a civic. It will do a one wheel peel around corners. Pretty sure it would get both going also.

If you do a swap I recommend going with 4.11 or 4.44 gears as you will get better response. You can go with 3.9 gears if you want a bit better gas mileage.

well, honestly i got the car cheap due to me parking my audi a4 to work on it. i'm experiencing some issues with it as well. dont suppose you know anything about the 1.8t engines do you?

I'll say this about Audi, mechanics don't call them job security for no reason. :lol:

Several friend of mine have owned/driven Audis and they all had major problems.

The 1.8 is a solidly built engine, and will reach 200k+ miles if properly cared for, but the rest of the car will fall apart on the way there. Turbos always need more care than a normal engine, though all too often won't get it, and when things go south it makes them that much more complicated to repair.

Backfiring in the intake is most likely jumped timing. Not a difficult fix on these. A belt kit with all the idlers and water pump runs about $125 shipped on ebay.

The 1.8T was used in the US market A3 and A4 models. Not sure on exact years but they stopped using the 1.8 and bumped them up to the 2.0T about 4-5 years ago.

Actually they may not have offered the 1.8 in the A3 here. I think that hit the market about the same time they quit using the 1.8.