Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 96 legacy obw with a 2.5 that has a blown motor. i have the oppertunity to pick up a 95 impreza wagon with a 2.2 and 130k on it. is this a good swap candidate? is it a plug and play type deal? or if not what all needs to be changed? i tried searching on here but couldnt find any thread on a 96obw. thanks for any help. i am kinda new to the whole subaru game:drunk:

I believe that should work, biggest thing people seem to say is if the original engine had EGR, the replacement engine needs to have EGR or live with the check engine light on all the time.

Other factors....single/dual port exhaust, charcoal canister underhood or underneath by gas tank, possibly reusing old engine intake manifold.

if the 95 ej22 car has an auto trans it will have the needed EGR and is the PERFECT donor engine, plug and play.

if it is from a manual trans car it will not have EGR and you will have a CEL all the time. if you can live with that and if a CEL will not keep you from being inspected or registered in AK then you can still use it. plug and play. it will run fine. the EGR is all about emissions.

I recently had a 95 motor installed in my 99 OBW. My 99 is the exact setup as your 96. The Impreza motor will install just fine. Only changes that need to be addressed is location difference for the evaporation canister, and take 96 A/C bracket, and bolt to the 95 motor. No issue with the exhaust down pipe.

Everything is plug and play.

Recommend changing the timing belt, oil seal, water pump, and pulleys, on the 95 motor before installation, and making sure the oil pump bolts are tight.

Tons written here on doing the swap, the search archives are your best friend to learn all you need about doing the work.

Occasionally someone shows up here who didn't do their homework and are gonna try and work around this.

NONE ever seem to - atleast they don't update us here.

They are gonna "drill the head" for the EGR pipe that comes from the engine. All kinds of ideas rather than just buying a correct engine.

2.2's are cheap enough. Just buy (or rebuy) one that'll work.

If someone here actually knows of a thread where this was overcome please link to it!! No matter how rediculous the workaround was in time and parts.

I've done a lot of these and helped folks with many and never have seen this overcome. The same folks that seem to run into this usually seem to be the really cheap folks too - which doesn't help the situation.