Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a bonus, what to do with $?

I have about $400 (max, I'd like to spend less) and am debating between snow tires, a lift, or collecting toward an EJ...sigh. My Loyale is my daily, so I would rather not park it too long right now.

The tires I think I'll get are these from Discount Tire. They appear to be a good compromise between price and function.

If I get a lift then I'm going to want bigger tires, which defeats the purpose of buying snow tires now. And with bigger tires I think I'm going to want the 2.2 pushing me around rather than the EA putt-putting a set of 27s across town.

Any thoughts on the correct sequence of events? Snow tires now and other things later? Or other things now and purchase tires twice/sell the smaller set later?

Edited by man on the moon

If you have following my secretmobile thread, we are discussing silver as an investment. an ounce of silver today at 35 bucks should be worth 100 compared to the historic ratio to gold. That is what i would do with it myself with that amount of $$$ at once. The rule suggests to invest 10 percent. go buy an ounce within 40 bucks :)

A lift would probably be the cheapest to start with, and the tires would be the most expensive (compared to a $300 ej donor car.

Edited by MilesFox

I Really Suggest you to Start with the Lift, because if you Really want to Lift your Subie, a brand new set of tires will take many time to worn and your Lift plan will remain undone for more time to come.

...And with bigger tires I think I'm going to want the 2.2 pushing me around rather than the EA putt-putting a set of 27s across town...

I Run my 2" Lifted BumbleBeast with 26" and its Weberized EA82 as Daily Driver without problems, it even feels more Torquey.

By the Way, let me tell you that the Link you posted, sent me to a Spiders' article!

...The tires I think I'll get are these from Discount Tire. They appear to be a good compromise between price and function...

If you have following my secretmobile thread, we are discussing silver as an investment. an ounce of silver today at 35 bucks should be worth 100 compared to the historic ratio to gold. That is what i would do with it myself with that amount of $$$ at once. The rule suggests to invest 10 percent. go buy an ounce within 40 bucks :)

A lift would probably be the cheapest to start with, and the tires would be the most expensive (compared to a $300 ej donor car.

Just read the thread. Not bad! Maybe I'll divide the money and invest a few and use a few. The car needs some work. I have 90% of the parts I need (gaskets, parts, bulbs, wires, etc), just waiting for a warm day to do it. Right now it's snowing big, wet flakes. The bonus will push me waaay over what I need to finish, trying to figure out what next project on the list to pick up. Saving/investing is a good idea, too, though right now my priority is getting to work and back every day. I may have enough left over to invest in an ounce or two of silver/buy some stock or something, though. A good idea.

It snows here a lot, thus the tires. As long as I'm in 4wd I can get around in the snow, even the hills. It's not fun but I do manage to drive through the maze of light cars, big trucks, and *** 4wd SUV owners spinning their tires. Stopping is a b*tch, though. With a capital B.

Where does one buy silver...at the bank? That's a really good idea, I had no idea it was so cheap right now.

1_lucky_Texan: that car cost more than $210 :D

And I must say, financial advice is not what I was expecting from this thread, but... :headbang:

I Really Suggest you to Start with the Lift, because if you Really want to Lift your Subie, a brand new set of tires will take many time to worn and your Lift plan will remain undone for more time to come.

I Run my 2" Lifted BumbleBeast with 26" and its Weberized EA82 as Daily Driver without problems, it even feels more Torquey.

By the Way, let me tell you that the Link you posted, sent me to a Spiders' article!

D'oh! I was reading/sharing about the spiders in another forum last night. Must have not hit the copy button w/the tire URL. Try this one instead. Also edited the original post.

I only have enough cash for one thing right now. If I do the lift I don't want to run around on 13s, makes the car look anemic imo. I will keep in mind that the car will do OK without the 2.2, though. Then I can put off the most expensive/intensive project (motor swap) til later. Say a year from now.

Edited by man on the moon

Where does one buy silver...at the bank?

Coin shop, pawn shop, broker, maybe a small family owned bank.

That's a really good idea

I would kinda stay clear of metals right now, sorry gold bugs, but Im seeing commercials for metal investing starring the same actors that were in the commercials for BUY real estate NOW. Its bubblicious!

I had no idea it was so cheap right now.

Five years ago an ounce was like $10-$11... Buy 4 powerballs and a lift kit. Have a little fun.

buy your silver at a local coin dealer. i get mine for $2 dollars over spot. The dealer makes his money on the transaction, not the price of the metal itself. IF you want to get silver for basically free, go to the bank and order a case of half dollar coins for 500 bucks, and hunt the rolls for silver. Just hold the stack of cins and look at the sides for the ones without a copper band. if you find any, you have a 24 dollar silver coin for 50 cents cost. Return the leftover coins back to thebank. it only costs you the face value of coins yu keep for yourself.

Edited by MilesFox

Oh! Of course! That does sound fun, actually. Been considering looking one up but I haven't had the time yet. Did you learn a lot, or mostly get to have fun driving on the track?

while we did have 'class time', for me, it was 95% fun 5% stuff i didn't already know. I think they just have the class time so they can 'say' it's a class(I THINK, if it's considered a 'class' most insurance policies are OK with it, but I'm not sure....).

I did get the feeling 2-3 people in each class (I've gone twice) actually learned stuff they weren't remotely familiar with so, probably good for them.

My right foot ached at the end of the day from pressing the accelerator - I rolled in with a full tank - burned 3/4 of it. It was a LOT of fun. Can't afford to go regularly, burns up tires and brakes pretty fast.

I've also done an AutoX event (http://www.subaruchallenge.com/ cost $35 and got a t-shirt and other goodies, but probably only 4 minutes of track time) - but the HPDE was more fun for the money.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I had to pay my phone bill last night. Because my smart phone was stolen and I regressed to a not smart phone, my bill was reduced...except it wasn't. I think I'll buy tires next week with what I have left :P. I do like the idea of a class, though I think that will have to wait, and maybe I'll do the lift and 22 at the same time so the car is only out of comission once, rather than twice.

And buy some silver or bonds or something--it's such a small amount (long-term) that it seems pointless, but I guess I have to start somewhere :)

I am not a finace expert by any means. I am new to the game. I am looking to roll my 401k from uhaul into something i can pay into and invest a portion of.

my advice to you is try to get onto some us silver coins. Dimes and quarters are easiest to pay for. I am paying 2.50 per dime from my coin shop. That is easiest to do if you dont have enough for an ounce.

silver went up 1.50 since i bought mine. Do smaller amounts. If the economy hits the fan, you dont have to give up whole ounces for something that is worth less than an ounce.

if you do get on some silver, and then the price goes up. DO NOT SELL IT

[snip]

my advice to you is try to get onto some us silver coins. Dimes and quarters are easiest to pay for. I am paying 2.50 per dime from my coin shop. That is easiest to do if you dont have enough for an ounce.

[snip]

I'll check it out next weekend (off Friday and Saturday, so no tomorrow). That will give me some time for reading up on the subject as well.

if you do get on some silver, and then the price goes up. DO NOT SELL IT

Why? Or wait for it to go up more?

i am not the best to get advice from as i am new to the game. do some google or youtube for the subject. 'silver stacking' 'silver spot price' and see what the experts have to say, and make your own judgement.

just make sure you stay out of the new world order , 9/11 inside job and illuminati conspiracy propaganda in the mix and you will find some helpful info.

the idea is to buy it now before it becomes too expensive to acquire, and hold it.

The whole 'stacking' idea is somewhat of a movement whre if the common everyday man can hold his wealth in physical metal, it would crash the fractional reserve bankers and fiat currencies (whom have been bailed out by the fed) that will move the wealth form the 1% to the 99%. Commodities prices drop when there are huge sell offs at the peaks, price goes down, and then some other entity buys it up (consolidation, transfer of wealth, price correction). The market is manipulated and the current prices are artificially low.

A few years ago silver was less than 20 bucks per ounce. then there was a huge buying mode (bull run) whre it peaked at $50 between 2010 and 2011. Then Warren Buffet bought a 3rd of the reserves and then it dropped to around 30 per ounce. My silver that i bought last week is now worth $2.00 more today. The market is very volatile. You should understand the buying trends if you want to short sale some of it to make a profit. Just don't dump all of it. and buy on the dips. With the economy worldwide, the dollar is being inflated by printing more trillions, and the aisian countries are buying up preious metals to back their currencies, and it is suggested that they will no longer accept the us dollar as trade, and then everyone will be dumping their holdings in us dollars, and then the dollar crashes and becomes worth less, then worthless.

You could read into it as hype or propaganda, but the math leads to this as an inevitability, it's just a matter of how long or soon it can happen.

It is suggested that 500 oz could buy a house outright in the somewhat or even fairly near future if the dollar and world economies do not improve. I am not an analyst. I am just paraphrasing the content that i have been reading/watching.

another good place to look on the tubes is the alternative/foreign news sources about the subject of gold and silver and the dollar and world economy, and commodities. Silver is a commodity (as an industrial metal) that currently is being used up faster than it can be produced, and more silver is being traded than actually exists (mining futures). With the growing demand for electronics, and the modernization of the third world it is being used up. cell phones and computers have about 5 cents to 50 cents of silver in the circuitry. It is uneconomical to salvage as it involves dissolving circuit boards and chips in acid and doing some chemical processes.

get financially educated, as i am doing(well, researching the internet anyway), being aware and paying more attention to something i was complacent to beforehand. My motivation is being 32 yrs old without a pot to piss in, and this year i am taking myself more seriously to get my finances in order and save some money so i can get into a clash flow (rental) property, as my neighborhood is mostly all rental duplexes lived in by college students, with the average rent rate being 750 or so for a 2-3 bedroom, and foreclosed houses on every block for $50,000 or less. There are properties for $6,000 and $10,000. It would be easy to get into if i made a serious effort.

Mr. Timothy W. Hansen (the film guy that is supposedly making this film about me) bought a house for 36,000 cash with tenants. I am scheduled to move into it. The city assesses that house for about $130,000 for taxes

I don't want to clutter your thread with this, unless you want to keep discussing it, that is fine. I just wanted to give you the idea that i have. However crazy it sounds.

Edited by MilesFox

I found a good deal on snow tires at Discount Tire, so I jumped. Wow! The difference is night and day. The car barely noticed the snow before, but now... :eek: it's amazing.

I have a decent amount of cash left over, and I'm seriously considering this metal thing, but I'll have to read more about it. A house for 500 ounces sounds a little far fetched, but I wouldn't mind having something on hand for small emergencies or savings. I'll read up and see what happens!

the easiest way is to get small denominations. easy to buy, easy to barter. Think of it as a 5 to 10 year outlook. You should probably pay attention to the subjects of inflation, the federal reserve, and fiat currency to understand the reason in doing so. Especially the global economy and events outside of the USA and economies that hold the dollar in reserve. have fun and good luck.