Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bypass hill holder?

You'll need a "T" fitting that all the lines can run into. I found that most the ones that I bought at auto parts stores were the wrong threads (they all only had generic brake parts for domestic cars). But you might get lucky.

If I remember right I finally found one on a FWD EA82 in the junkyard that did not have a hill holder. I also grabbed the short lines from the hill holder to the master cylinder to make it fit. Kind of one of those things you'll have to look at, think about, look at, gather a few parts. Then it makes sense. :)

My hill holder blew out a couple years ago and that's what I did. Been working just fine and normal.

...found one on a FWD EA82 in the junkyard that did not have a hill holder...

The Automatics doesn't have Hill Holder, that should was an Automatic.

When my BumbleBeast's Hill Holder (which is a Check Valve) started to Leak, I Just removed the Cable that comes from the Clutch fork to the Hill Holder, and the Subie works great without issues.

Some people here told me that by doing that, I'll need to instal a Return Spring at the Clutch fork, because the original spring is on the Hill Holder assembly.

You can try my Lazy solution or you can remove the Hill Holder and place there the "T" from an automatic EA82... Both works the Same, because an unused Hill Holder check valve is just a "T" by its design.

Kind Regards.