Ultimate Subaru Message Board

symptoms of a broken waterpump

Yesterday was driving through -6F and upon shifting back I could hear a squeel. It could be the v-belt for the power steering and dynamo. But what if it is the waterpump. What are the symptoms for a broken waterpump, the temp gauge stayed where it always goes right below the middle.

But if it is seized up my temp gauge should skyrocket up, right?

Car is 1999 impreza with with about 80k miles. timing belt and pulleys replaced at 60k.

So a broken waterpump just ceases or starts leaking?

that and or snap the timing belt. Be aware of burning rubber smell

its the idler bering on the water pump has teeth on it it do'es real time and is a very poor berring i change all 3 pices when i do a timing belt they go as a set [water pump timing belt coged idler ] i have had at least 15 of that idler failed in the last year all the way from 91-07 make shure the replacment is a dubble berring type some of the cheaper ones are single berring and not so good

Yesterday was driving through -6F and upon shifting back I could hear a squeel. It could be the v-belt for the power steering and dynamo. But what if it is the waterpump. What are the symptoms for a broken waterpump, the temp gauge stayed where it always goes right below the middle.

The chances are very good that is merely the power steering drive belt squealing. BUT I WOULD MAKE CERTAIN. A timing belt belt failure almost always causes very expensive damage to the valves.

Open the hood and listen. Is the noise coming from the drive belt?

Check the drive belt, is it tight enough? Check the service manual for the tightening procedure, too tight is as bad as too loose.

The timingbelt and idlers are both original subaru.

I tensioned the drive belt of the powerstearing not to long ago, only now it was very cold and very moist (60 feet fog) the whole car iced up on the front. I should have blocked part of the radiator to keep the engine bay somewhat warmer. Drivebelt squeal is usually at start and when reving up by engine braking (downshifting). I will check the timing belt and drivebelt tension.