Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stock radios with auxiliary inputs?

I know the older first gen lego had the occasional radio with an aux input for running mp3 player, cd player, iPod, etc.

Are there any other years or models that had that also?

I'm wanting to put one in my impreza but the harnesses changed from the early legacys to the imprezas and as far as I can figure out the rest of the line ups too. So pretty much most anything impreza and 95+ legacy and forester had the same radio plug.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Worst case scenario I'll just splice in a old legacy radio, but would like to avoid that if possible.

I know the older first gen lego had the occasional radio with an aux input for running mp3 player, cd player, iPod, etc.

Are there any other years or models that had that also?

I'm wanting to put one in my impreza but the harnesses changed from the early legacys to the imprezas and as far as I can figure out the rest of the line ups too. So pretty much most anything impreza and 95+ legacy and forester had the same radio plug.

Any help would be great. Thanks

Worst case scenario I'll just splice in a old legacy radio, but would like to avoid that if possible.

Aftermarket head units are so cheap now, there's hardly a reason to try to make some OEM one work.

Go to a car audio store (or internet) and get the wiring harness for your car.

Basically it's the plug that plugs into the stock wiring harness with bare wires coming out of it.

The head unit will come with its own wiring harness. Both should come with a diagram of which wire colours go to what (speakers, power, etc). Splice them together, and done.

It took me probably 10 minutes to have my aftermaket unit wired up.

It really is easy.

If he is like me, no way ever will put aftermarket radio in a car.

1. They dont last more than a few years or so

2. Inviting for any thief cause they easily can trade for drugs, etc or take to pawn shop

3. They just don't work that well, buttons too small etc.

4. Factory radio sound is just fine for lots, and the buttons are easy to press, and they last.

Yeah pretty much I'm not a fan of after market radios for many reasons, mainly because I don't want to give anyone any more reason to break into my car.

I just bop my head to local stations, I don't listen to CDs any more, I would like to plug my iPod in and that's about it.

I'm totally fine with having a tape deck too. :)

Well if you have a tape deck you can get one of those adapters.

I've had a cheap JVC unit for about three or four years now between two different cars.

I leave the key in the ignition of my car where I live. If I'm at the grocery store, work, home, the key stays in the car.

When I'm in big cities I'll pop the face off the radio and throw it under the seat so it's not a thief magnet.

To each their own though.

The GL one is really easy to hack for AUX in. Took me just a few minutes to hack that.

I gave up on the Legacy one because of all the digital stuff I would have had to deal with for the CD hookup.

That's why the make the removable face things on the aftermarket radios.

I'm not worried about anyone stealing a crappy JVC unit though...

my 1st gen had the aux input, but that didnt help when the head unit itself took a dump - seems they are 2 seperate pieces and the connection between the two crapped out after 20+ years...

anyway, i went with a cheap aftermarket unit that has a usb connector right up front - load up my favorite tunes on a thumb drive, plug into stereo, enjoy. :banana: and no - the thumb drive does not interfere with the shifter - it did kind of get in the way of the cupholders, but i solved that by moving the stereo down in the bracket & the little cubby up - still have a small gap between the two, but i can live with it.

i've used this to add an AUX line to an existing radio:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEREO-RADIO-RCA-AUX-INPUT-ADAPTER-WIRED-FM-MODULATOR-/390320627678?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru&vxp=mtr&hash=item5ae0ec1fde

others have tapped into existing Subaru radios and soldered in their own AUX in - i've seen threads about it. i dislike electrical work so i avoid it although i have a drooling ambition for AUX in as well.

http://hackaday.com/2011/05/18/aux-in-hacking-an-04-subaru-radio/

there are aftermarket devices that are plug and play and thus could be portable if your stereo ever fails:

http://www.jazzyengineering.com/product_info.php?products_id=45&osCsid=b4bp6rod3mnjue7go1h9brv4r1

apparently there's a guy adding AUX inputs and selling them on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-Legacy-SUBARU-CD-Tape-Radio-WB-Mp3-Ipod-Aux-SAT-external-input-86201-AC430-/190591701541?pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item2c60269225

and no - the thumb drive does not interfere with the shifter - it did kind of get in the way of the cupholders, but i solved that by moving the stereo down in the bracket & the little cubby up - still have a small gap between the two, but i can live with it.

How big is your thumb drive?

They make some really tiny ones now, perhaps a smaller USB stick would solve your problem?

mfsu2_1.jpg

How big is your thumb drive?

They make some really tiny ones now, perhaps a smaller USB stick would solve your problem?

LOL - the thumb drive itself isnt the problem - the aftermarket head unit is thinner/shorter than the old stock unit was, leaving a gap between it and the little cubby that is in that location

stock unit was close to 3" tall top to bottom, new one is only 2"...

have been kind of planning on putting in some aftermarket guages - a volt meter, and an oil pressure - i kind of miss having those - and since i dont use the cubby in the middle, it would go bye-bye and the guages would go in that space. I know, not the best spot for viewing a pair of guages, but better than nothing, and they would fill in that space nicely. :rolleyes: