Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finding rain drain tubes, front carpet wet

Hi folks, I've been getting some water in my front passenger carpet during the big rains we've had. I have read the other posts on this topic, but still have questions. I can't find the tube outlet at the fender, can someone describe its location? It is not where it is shown in the other thread (http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5283/5206933287_73db66c816.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4085/5206932687_b0a819f7fa.jpg)

I have the dual sunroof. Is this water likely coming from the sunroof drain or off the windshield?

Where is the water coming into the carpet? (i.e. is there a way I can intercept it before it gets on the carpet until I can actually fix it?)

Sorry for so many questions, we're getting 3" of rain tomorrow and its been leaking pretty bad in as little as 0.5".

Thanks!

'99 OBW w dual sunroof and rust

I don't know about double sunroofs, but having just dealt with this on 2 1995 Legacys, I found on both that the tubes connecting to the pipes on the sunroof structures had aged and expanded. In both cars one tube had even come off the pipe. I put clamps on 4 drain pipe locations (single sunroof) to fix this.

You might have junk in the end of the tube, but I would recommend clamping the top, because this vinyl tubing just loosens up as it ages.

3" of rain is a good opportunity for some differential diagnosis.

Cover the sunroofs with plastic (garbage bags etc) and duct tape the edges.

If you are wet tomorrow, then it is either the windshield seal or the drain from the cowling area below the windshield.

BTW, does it ever get wet simply by running the AC or actually, the same if you run the defroster which may coincide with when it is raining? If that is the case, perhaps the drain line from that unit has come detached from the AC unit under the dash.

Edited by brus brother

Thanks for all the replies folks. I appreciate the suggestion of an experimental approach... however in this case my girlfriend was coming to town and I just needed the rain gone.

Under the front sunroof there was quite a bit of rust. I don't use the sunroof so I didn't really know the extent of this. It has begun flaking off, and the flakes had found their way to rest on top of what appeared to be the drain tubes. There was also a good bit of soil that had formed (from a decade of outdoor parking) at the base of the windshield. I put the Shop Vac on that too. Problem solved for now.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I appreciate the suggestion of an experimental approach... however in this case my girlfriend was coming to town and I just needed the rain gone.

Under the front sunroof there was quite a bit of rust. I don't use the sunroof so I didn't really know the extent of this. It has begun flaking off, and the flakes had found their way to rest on top of what appeared to be the drain tubes. There was also a good bit of soil that had formed (from a decade of outdoor parking) at the base of the windshield. I put the Shop Vac on that too. Problem solved for now.

So how do you know that it's solved?

Leola- I know because it rained for 24 hrs straight and I didn't get any leakage. It rained 24 hrs straight the week before, and I had lots of leakage.

Nipper- thanks for the link... good to know, I'll bring the muck boots if I ever ride shotgun in your car. :D