Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 outback tranny problem

Was having trouble with my tranny shifting beween 2nd and 3rd took it to

a transmission shop and now they are telling me the tranny is shot:banghead: found

brass shavings in it. now facing a rebuild or find a good used one.

Is it worth fixing. I just bought in November and paid 1,500 for it and put

abut $300 in it doing tune up, flushing engine, etc. the wierd thing is, the

tranny fliud did't smell burnt but it was overservced by two quarts. since i

didn't know the maintetce history on it i went ahead and drained the tranny and

changed the fluid and found a few brass particles but noting to get all worked up about.

I looked up on this forum and was told that the hesitation shift betweeen 2nd and third

was probably a brake band adjustment. So, it this a

:horse:

Thanks everyone in advance for your input and advice!!

i have a 95 legacy wagon with 119000 miles and my tranny has been over full for over 5 months now....no problems. just a thought. you can find these trannys a dime a dozen.... buy a used one and replace it if its giving you a hard time..... i bet the band has broken leaving no more adjustment..... i honestly wouldnt know though.....

good luck!!!

-jarrid

is the car drivable? sometimes they just have a poor shift point, other times they are nearly undrivable. just drive it if it's operating fine.

if the transmission is bad, replacing the trans with a used one isn't that bad of a choice. they don't fail that often so used is a good option and they're usually reasonably priced because demand is low.

http://www.car-parts.com

your area looks expensive, $450 cheapest.

i can get one for $200.

with the prevalence of subarus in your area you can probably find one on the board here or locally for sale. post in the parts wanted section of this forum.

sorry about the lack of info my bad.

:brow:

what i need is for a 1992 Legacy AWD 4speed automatic non-turbo 2.2L engine

the car has 218k miles no maintence history bfr i bought in in nov 2011 dumped all the trans oil out of the pan but did't smell burnt or black etc

did have a slight shimmering of brass but when i let it settle out for a few days

did have a few small shavings in the bottom of the pan. the guy at the trans

shop I took it too said maybe a bad planetary gear. bit it only shifts early between the 2-3 upshift.

Every single transmission shop can pull the pan on any car and find brass and tell you you need a tranny. They are evil places. Pressure gauges with a test drive unless something obvious would be part of a reputable tranny shop diagnoses or at least a test drive.

Get the car out of there, and what exactly were your symptons.

Every single transmission shop can pull the pan on any car and find brass and tell you you need a tranny. They are evil places. Pressure gauges with a test drive unless something obvious would be part of a reputable tranny shop diagnoses or at least a test drive.

Get the car out of there, and what exactly were your symptons.

Nipper, I agree with you 100% in my experience most transmission shops

are unethical almost always their pat responce is "you need a new transmission

and oh by the way you can finance it for 25% intrest.

the story on this car is I bought it last november and it looked ok at first glace

but the jerk put black tape over the check engine light and being a noob to subaru didn't relaze it untill i bougth it had multiple codes on the cumputer.

I changed the vaccume sensor and o2 sensor and that seemed to clear most of the real codes and nusance codes. when I checked the tranny fluid it was over-sevices by two quarts and based on the condition of the rest of the car I drained all the fluid out and put in new dextron III and some lucas

trans fluid treatment.

the real complaint i have is when in drive it shifts about 19mph from 2nd to 3rd if i continue to accelerate the engine reves up to about 2000 rpm and it finally goes into third. however, if I manually put in second and when it gets to about 22 mph i manuall shift it into 3rd and let off the gas for a second it

shifts smoothly and shifts normally. this only happens on the upshift from 2nd and third. if i happen to forget to do the mallual shift, and it does the rev up roune for multiple times i get a cel code # 13.

I was told that possibly doing a brake band adustment would help but neither

transmission shops thought that would help.

hope that helps.

Edited by mwbean

code 13 is shift solenoid 3. It may be sticking or dying. When you manually shift you are operating the valves in the transmission via a linkage over riding the electrics.

Sounds like you just need a solenoid (hopefully) as it is failing electrically somehow.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33331

scroll down to the pdf file.

code 13 is shift solenoid 3. It may be sticking or dying. When you manually shift you are operating the valves in the transmission via a linkage over riding the electrics.

Sounds like you just need a solenoid (hopefully) as it is failing electrically somehow.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33331

scroll down to the pdf file.

yes, using the shifter/linkage to override the the normal shifting if it was in

"drive" BTW- when "cold" at least driving the the first few blocks bfr getting on the freeway it works fine

this early shifting if you would call it that happens after it warms up and driving in stop and go traffic

Edited by mwbean
addition