Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Random question of the day

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

:horse:

^ Why is the smiley figure hitting the dead horse in the nuts?

Real random question.

At some points along the line it looks like the Dual range trans reduction gear ratios changed.

Some were 1:59 some were like 1:19 or something?

When was/were the changes? Any way to tell from the outside which gear set it will have? (in case someone did a swap)

Real random question.

At some points along the line it looks like the Dual range trans reduction gear ratios changed.

Some were 1:59 some were like 1:19 or something?

When was/were the changes? Any way to tell from the outside which gear set it will have? (in case someone did a swap)

From my copy of 87 FSM it appears the d/r turbos had different gear sets & reduction gears.

Begs the question if the lower ratio gearsets could be combined with the 1.59 reduction set?

Anybody else?

http://s1261.photobucket.com/albums/ii590/kazinski5/?action=view&current=87MTtransspecs001.jpg

Edit: Sorry for the small pic but when will it be possible to upload pdfs?

Edited by czny
realized image was too small

I do know transmissions (d/r, at least) off EA turbo models will have different axle stubs than the non-turbo ones. 25 vs 23 splines iirc. While you can swap the axles out easily enough, there is also a different gearing ratio in the turbo ones that won't play nice with your rear diff, but I don't remember the details. Do a search? I know the answer is on the site because I asked a similar question last fall when I was preparing for the d/r swap, and someone responded with a very specific answer.

I did see a thread where someone swapped transfer gears but it was from an EA to an EJ DR trans. It wasn't a simple swap. parts had to be welded and machined.

That may not be true with EA to EA.

I don't know the answer off the top of my head, but I do know the information is on here someplace as I've seen this discussed before.

What I want to know is, what the hell is this--------> :banana:

I remember it being played on the morning announcements my freshman year in high school, 1999.( damn thinking about that makes me feel old) We had closed circuit tv news and they would play that video about once a week.

Where might I find some FSMs for these older cars? Any that are downloadable like for the EJs?