Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First time off roading my Forester

Fozester

I went on some telephone line service trails with a buddy of mine.

Then we headed up the hills of the gorge to get some snow. And we found plenty of it.

Thank god I bought a 3/16" skid plate from Primitive. My buddy was not so lucky and lost his brand new franken motor.

466533_3331917625888_1506953949_32971572_197979132_o.jpg

20120226_133632.jpg

20120226_130314.jpg

ya i dont know if it was me hitting something that knocked the plug lose or the fact i didnt have a new crush washer but either way ive learned my lesson. New oem crush washer every time and check the plug after i go wheeling till i get a skid plate made.

But on a good note i got a new engine last night and im going to tear it apart tonight and get it off to the machine shop tomorrow

ya im going to try sometime next week if i can get the motor back in time to get the D/R atleast test fitted so i can mount it when i have the extra cash to extend my driveline. ill be pushing it to try and get the car ready with atleast outback struts for the browns camp trip and i need really big wheel spacers cause my new tires hit the strut

ya i dont know if it was me hitting something that knocked the plug lose or the fact i didnt have a new crush washer but either way ive learned my lesson. New oem crush washer every time and check the plug after i go wheeling till i get a skid plate made.

But on a good note i got a new engine last night and im going to tear it apart tonight and get it off to the machine shop tomorrow

Why a new crush washer ? I've reused about a thousand crush washers on about every make and model of car/truck heavy equipment..etc. since the mid 80's...never had a problem...

If you hit it that's another issue..

I haven't lost a motor yet . Unless it's damaged reuse it.

You have to make sure it *has* a correct crush washer though. I've seen lots of cheap one's that were squished out and one's that leak, etc. Or just plain missing. I typically replace them with OEM one's when I change the filter. I don't always replace one's that I know I've replaced in the past and that still look good but I do swap them out. It's worth it to me to not have any drips for the $1 they cost. Also having a good soft crush washer means you don't have to crank the plug down so tight to stop them from weeping. Then I don't have to take them loose with a pipe wrench and a cheater. :-\

GD

Rick im going to be tearing the engine down tonight. i think ill take you up on your offer to take the block to your guy and have the machining and parts ordered by him and ill assemble it all myself . ill try and make it out and drop it off to you tomorrow if you'll be around

Well seems like you have a lot to do Aaron. Depending on what ej25 parts you have, I may need some for my franken motor if I can get around to doing it.

I get paid on friday so I'll be ordering my lights after that if you are still willing to do that welding.