Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Doing HG at 82K.. what else while inside

If it were me I would just wait till 105k and do it when the timing belt is due. The external weepage usually isn't enough to be more than an annoyance.

I would pull the engine, do the clutch if it needs it, complete timing belt kit with water pump, all idlers, tensioner, etc - front main and cam seals, valve cover gaskets, plugs and well seals, and the oil pump o-ring. Don't forget an OEM thermostat for your new water pump.

And of course check your valve clearances. But they will almost certainly be fine.

GD

I think y'all may have missed the point that this is a dealer only proposition with some help from SOA. I didn't catch this before the 80K warranty ran out so shame on me.

Effectively, my out of pocket $300 cost will about equal what I would have to pay for a TB job. The rest of the $ from SOA would cover the HG work.

All them extra parts your tossin' in will add up pretty darn quick, especially at dealer prices. Just saying...

BTW, the tech does the HGs in the car all the time. Says he just tilts the engine.

All them extra parts your tossin' in will add up pretty darn quick, especially at dealer prices. Just saying...

You really think the water pump and idlers will go another 100k? I've seen factory water pumps fail before 100k. You could put this back together, go 20k and have the water pump start weeping..... No joke. Just did an '06 Forester a few months back with a weeper at 98k and I just pulled an engine from an '03 Baja with a weeper at 117k. Both OEM.

Remember that the dealer service departement has a vested intrest in your repeat business. I don't.

GD

I think a sticky about headgaskets and what to look for by year should be added, you know, for the new 2005+. By now, the info about the dohc 2.5 should be known, but not enough people know the 2005 sohc 2.5 N/A has headgasket fail of oil leaking, i say leaking because a weep is just the initial stage to leak, then to drips.