Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where to buy Porcelain White color code 241 spray paint??

Has anyone sourced a good, trustworthy website to purchase Subaru OEM color spray paint? My local O'Reilly's doesn't carry any subaru colors...they have a few Toyota whites which are close.

Has anyone used any other shades of whites that are close to Subaru Porcelain white (82 Brat)? Right now, my front left fender is Rusteleum flat white and it looks terrible.

I am considering trying these guys: http://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/guide1.cgi

No idea whether it will work or not. A dealer or bigger parts store should be able to help. There is one NAPA I have to go to here for the more unusual requests as the other shops have only a limited inventory and/or clueless guy/gal behind the desk. I know they have to fill a shift, and people need jobs, but if all you know how to do is look in the computer and say "that's not stock for this car!"...I'm at least asking for the supervisor, if not going to another shop.

And I don't mean for unusual things--I've gotten that asking for belts, hoses, and bulbs of which there are dozens and we just have to look through them until we find one that meets my needs.

Moral of the story, try a few more shops (a bigger one, preferably) or a dealer. If nothing else the dealer will be able to order what you need.

Has anyone used any other shades of whites that are close to Subaru Porcelain white (82 Brat)? Right now, my front left fender is Rusteleum flat white and it looks terrible.

Slightly off-topic, but I had a VW once that had been repainted white. I can't remember the paint code, but it was an old Chevy color. It was a *PERFECT* match for the Rustoleum Gloss White, and I can't say enough about how awesomely convenient that was. :banana: Up until a few years ago, I had been working on restoring the car piece-by-piece, and at least half of the car had been repainted or touched up, but you would never know. :cool:

We went through the same thing as you though with another car... Touch-up paint was available in the original factory color codes, but due to aging and a slight color shift in a previous repaint, the new paint didn't match. :-\ We went to several different stores looking for paints which were "close", bought a half dozen test cans, and came away with some machinery paint from a farm implement store that is a near perfect match. icon14.gif

The great thing, in either case, is that once you find the match you can keep buying or ordering more - a LOT easier than having to get custom blends put in cans from the dedicated auto paint stores. icon14.gif

Great feedback regarding paintscratch.com!! I was one click away from ordering a can of spray paint from them. I began to waver when it said the paint for my year of vehicle was a two stage. I started seeing dollar signs and backed off. Its good to know that they are good to work with and put out a good product. Thanks again for the feedback...

Red92, I like you comments about finding a color that is easily available. It would definitely be convenient to have a color that matches 100% with gloss white Rustoleum since I seem to always have at least 3 cans in my garage at all times...lol. We have a local store here in Billings which is called Big R Shiptons. It's a farm/implement/hardware/sporting goods/western wear/everything store. I was looking at their farm machinery paint and debated on buying some of that stuff...that stuff holds up pretty well and with the temperature extremes here in Montana, it's definitely an idea...

I was looking at their farm machinery paint and debated on buying some of that stuff...that stuff holds up pretty well and with the temperature extremes here in Montana, it's definitely an idea...

Might as well give it a shot!

I had another VW that was painted bright red with leftover paint from a guy who worked at a toy factory. The car was totally beat on, and our test drive was him doing about 15 minutes of tearing through the fields and dodging trees up and down a ravine, so I *know* the car had a hard life. :D But the paint? Still bright and glossy, it flexed for the dents without cracking, and there's hardly any chips or scratches on it anywhere. :eek: For a repaint, single stage with no clearcoat, it's staggeringly durable and it looks great! I don't have any idea what type of paint they used in that toy factory... but I'd paint everything I drive with it if I could! icon14.gif

Try a local auto paint store. Some can mix the paint and put it in an aerosol can. My neighbor did that for his 72 Corvette and it turned out nicely.

I have seen NAPA's do this years ago with Martin Senior(?) paints laquer and enamel.

I have an antique VW bus that is a weird tan color. And doesn't come close to matching the only tan they used in 71 & 72. I removed the fuel filler door and took it to one of those places that puts it under a machine and prints out a formula to mix paint by. I haven't tried it yet.

But an auto body supplies company can probably do this. It's just like Lowes has for latex paint.