Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am replacing the leaky radiator in my 97 outback with a radiator from a 97 legacy L parts car. The radiator is obviously different. I am swapping the radiator with fans attached as they are also a bit different. My question is regarding the cooling capacity of the radiator from the L with the 2.2 going into the outback with a 2.5. I don't want to have overheating problems. I don't think it would be a problem, but I am looking for advice from someone who has done this swap to verify it will be adequate.

''grossgary'' did a rad swap of some kind. i don't remember the particulars, but ...

my 97 GT has mounting holes for both the L and the GT rad. i even took pics and posted them in garys thread.

do a search. i don't know which years will fit or which parts will swap, but at least some do. but the overflow bottles are rad specific, i think. so in the long run a new rad for your car may be easier.

i replaced the one in my GT with one from advance auto. i ordered it online, used a discount coupon (google that, lots to pick from, ''save $30 on $100''.) and picked it up in my local store. it came complete and i had it in the same day for ~$100. so unless the used rad is really really chjeap and you have a lot of time .......

I have the radiator mounted in, no problems there. Just had to move the big rubber grommets for the lower mounting pegs to the outermost holes and it drops right in. I used all of the upper bracketry from the L model radiator (along with the fans) and everything bolts right in (just in different holes). My question was not so much about making it fit as much as if the cooling capacity of the radiator for the 2.2 was adequate for the 2.5 engine. The radiator being swapped in looks almost brand new and looks to be an aftermarket unit. The parts car seems to have several parts that were recently replaced.