Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just replaced the crank position sensor the tps and the ignition module had maf issues need a maf and iac. Car is now idling at 2k rpms and now i got oil leaking and smoking from near the exhaust manifold like crazy hoping its just the valve covers wagon has 217k miles did the flex plate the water pump and timing belt oil plugs wires and the distributor help!!!

crank sensor either works or doesn't. Same with ignition module.

TPS you can test if it's bad or not, they're expensive. Why blindly replace it?

What are you asking here? You have a maf code, it's either the sensor or the wiring. Check the wiring, if it's good replace the sensor.

the smoking is more than likely oil burning off on the hot exhaust. find and fix the oil leak and it should stop.

how soon does the high idle come down?

my 90 LS wagon will kick the idle up on initial start up, they are supposed to do this, but if it is fairly warm out (60+) it comes down fairly quick, usually less than a minute. anything below 50 degrees, it takes it a little longer, really cold out (below freezing) it can take 5 minutes or more.

fluctuating idle would more than likely be a vacuum leak - old, dry vacuum hoses dont seal well and/or could have cracks in them.

fwiw - my wagon has over 223K

i put back on my old crank position sensor and throttle position sensor car idles fine no codes i have a puddle of oil looked under the car not valve cover and not oil pan gasket, leak is leaking down from oil filter...

Maybe your oil pump is leaking? Cam seal? Pop off the timing belt cover and see whats going on in there.