Ultimate Subaru Message Board

02 Outback, 2.5 to 2.2 Swap question..

I have a 2.5 i am considering making a project and would like to swap the 2.5 for a 2.2.

I have found lots of info hear and thanks to all who contribute. Most of my questions were answered by poking around the site.

My sister has a 99 legacy with a 2.2. I have them parked side by side and it looks like i can take the short block out of that car and drop it in mine. And hook all the externals (intake, alt, ps pump) from my 2.5 right up to it.

Except the exhaust manifold. I would need the y pipe from the 2.2.

Am I correct? :confused:

Also my 02 is a standard, will i have any issue bolting my flywheel and tranny up to this? That is my main question.

I am thinking i need a flywheel and clutch from a 2.2?

Any help would be great. TIA

the ej22 in the 99 should be a phase 2 engine, just like the 02 ej25.

so yes, all the parts from the ej25 will bolt right on. i'm not sure about the 99 ej22 y-pipe, if it is single port, then yes you will need to swap it as well.

there should be no problem swapping the fly wheel / clutch over to the ''new'' engine.

Thank you very much. I understand the phase 1 abd 2 motors and that i can't just grab any 2.2 out of the bone yard.

Yes the 99 is a phase 2 EJ rngine. My problem may be finding one. I could always steal the one from my sisters car :lol:

The Y pipe exhaust is a single port and it looks as simple as just moving the Y pipe with the motor.

My concern and i may just have to burn that bridge when i get there is the flywheel and clutch. If you go to Rockauto and look up a flywheel for the 2.5 there is only 1 available and it's expensive. If you look up one for a 2.2 from "99" to "01" there are several listed and are only around $60 :confused:

Not sure why there is a difference.

Just a brief history as to why i may swap motors. I have owned many Subaru's over the years and did many extensive repairs. I like working on them because they are pretty easy if you ask me.

So when i had the opportunity to by an 02 outback loaded up for $1200 and 300,000 miles on it i grabbed it assuming i would probably have to rebuild the motor. No big deal..

Well motor apart the bores looked good, they measured in spec. Crank as well. pistons were worn and rings as well. Head gasket was blown. It was eating oil.

So i honed it our replaced pistons and rings and bearings with stock size.

Milled the heads, re-seated the valves (surprisingly they looked very good for the miles)

I put it all together and it was Zen, for 3000 miles. Not a drop of oil was missing from the car.

Then all hell broke loose. It turns out when separating the motor it was a bit tough to get apart. so i was using a 3 lb. hammer and a block of wood. At one point i missed the wood and hit a glancing blow to the mount for the top idler pulley just before the belt goes back to the drive sprocket. My fault.

So i filed down the damage as best i could thinking it was ok. Well it was not. It turns out it was not completely flat and it tipped the idler upward in the front by a couple degree's. enough to make it want ride up the side of the harmonic balancer. Which acted like sand paper and slowly wore the belt away until SNAP. So i took the heads off. all 16 valves were bent, No visible piston damage (belt broke at around 2000 rpm) so off to the shop with the heads to check for cracks, all was good. So new valves and head gaskets and start it up.

Corrected my idler issue. And from the time i started it until now it sounds like i am getting a bearing knock. Rod bearing i am assuming. I am wondering if the collision with the valves didn't damage one or more of them. It is not that loud but if it gets worse and i believe it will then this motor will become scrap metal. Also I am now loosing oil again, I believe it is a cursed engine.

At the very least a learning expeience. :horse:

congrats on the all the work and learning, i like your effort and energy!

you simply need a 99-01 Phase II EJ22, very easy swap.

and for these (unlike earlier swaps) you simple bolt the EJ25 intake manifold on top of the EJ22 engine lock block, it's a very easy swap.

you also need a single port EJ22 exhaust manifold but again that just bolts up.

sometimes you have to swap cam and crank sprockets as they sometimes have different timing triggers on them - but that's easy. it's rare and i haven't determined when/why that has to be done but i don't think it's even an EJ22/EJ25 thing, sometimes i think it's happened even between EJ25's before. again - easy to swap those parts, takes 5 minutes.

flywheel - i would think you just bolt the EJ25 flywheel to your EJ22 and use all EJ25 clutch parts. been awhile so i'm sort of guessing.

Yep - bolts right up and runs fine.

Talk to Whitedog - he just did one in an '03.

Use the flywheel and clutch from the 2.5. It will work just fine.

You *may* have to drill and tap the EGR port on the 2.2 if it doesn't have one. It's a pretty large metric tap and they aren't cheap. The set I bought for the phase-I engines was over $40 for a tap and bottoming tap. The phase-II's are larger and more expensive still.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Thanks a lot for the help... I really appreciate it. I have a few U-Pullit yards around me i frequent for parts. I am going to start hunting around and am going to get one.

The 2.5 does not like me... lol...

When i do it i will document and take pics. And will post when done. I know i wont be the last person to ask about this...

Thanks again..