Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ac belt made a hole the in timing cover

My ac belt had a catastrophic failure because the ac clutch (I think thats what it is) failed and seized. the short of it being that the remains of the belt got stuck behind the drive pulley and wore a bit of a hole in the timing belt cover (thats what it is right? plastic behind the pulleys). we got it all taken apart so the ac is disconnected and out of the system.

My question being: How dangerous is it to drive the car with the hole in that cover and where can I find a new cover?

Yeah i dont think anything is rubbing anymore we got everything out of there. I'll probably let it be for now. I thought I was going to have to replace the ac compressor before so its a bit of relief to know its just the clutch that should be easier.

I'd replace the covers eventually. There's a gasket all around the cover, so with a hole it's gonna get full of crap that can't get out. But it's not going to blow up on you overnight. Now that it's summer and the roads aren't ************ty you'll be fine for a while.

i had a hole in my tb cover on my loyale. i didnt pay much attention to it until my tb broke. with a full load of stuff. on xmas morning when i was suppposed to be driving to oregon (PISSED!). had to take the saturn (suck). this is the day i learned ea82s are non-interferance. long story short, if youre running an ea82(i dont think i saw what motor you have) remove and dispose of your tb covers. they are nothing but in the way if yor not in a desert or something. .02

i had a hole in my tb cover on my loyale. i didnt pay much attention to it until my tb broke. with a full load of stuff. on xmas morning when i was suppposed to be driving to oregon (PISSED!). had to take the saturn (suck). this is the day i learned ea82s are non-interferance. long story short, if youre running an ea82(i dont think i saw what motor you have) remove and dispose of your tb covers. they are nothing but in the way if yor not in a desert or something. .02

Don't let this scare you... ea82 engines like to eat timing belts, probably had nothing to do with the cover.

Your EJ will be fine, unless, of course, it's due for a belt replacement anyway.

pull the offending cover off and forgedaboudit. ;)

running with no covers of any kind on the 90 Legacy LS wagon (non-interference) was kind of concerned about it at first - but after making it thru the winter with no issues, I am good with it.