Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking into getting a Forester...

Howdy!

We are looking to get a Forester. Can you experienced and knowledgeable people please give us the pros and cons, what to watch out for, and your general opinion of the Forester? How easy are they to repair? Is there any known issues that we should watch out for? Don't forget to comment on what options you do or don't like too!!

We are looking for a used Forester in the $4K and under price range if anyone is curious (and yes, I know that is not much money, but it is what it is...)

The only Subaru I've ever flipped that i had issues with was a 99 2.5 SOHC.

And the folks I sold it to have had troubles.

Took 3 engines to get a good engine to begin with.

A 98 is the crappy 2.5 DOHC we're all used to fixing and a 2.2 should swap in just like into an Outback. Other than that I'd look at lets say 2002 or Newer which is unlikely for 4k.

My 2001 Forester with 113k miles on her has had all of the usual suspect issues so far, sans head gasket failure yet, knocking wood:

weak windshield cracks easily if hit by pebble....replaced once so far.

moisture gets in front of cabin and rusts driver seat bolts near floor.

drivers side rear wheel bearing replaced

drivers side front disc caliper needs to be replaced with a rebuilt one.

front inner axle boots torn. replaced those axles.

front 02 sensor replaced twice. Seems to want a new one every 40k miles.

AC condenser and high pressure line replaced.

clock pulled and resoldered the usual resistor, twice. Once every 5 yrs.

Front diff torque bind, easily cured by changing out diff fluid.

burns oil like a 2 cycle. I quart every 2k miles.

replaced knock sensor.

replaced rusted out coolant hose clamps

Dunno if you consider that good or bad for 10 yrs and 113k miles.

:drunk:

Edited by unibrook

I had a 2001 Forester L also which we bought with over 200K miles and a known bad head gasket. Being who we are, we put a rebuilt engine in it. At that point, it also needed front brakes, a new PCV valve and new O2 sensors. Other than that, I drove it for several years trouble free. It had nearly 270K on it when I sold it.

It got good gas mileage, has tons of head room, lots of storage cubbies (boy, do I miss those!), a comfortable ride and handles very nimbly.

My husband thought the front seats were uncomfortable, but I didn't notice anything wrong. Yes, the EJ25 SOHC engine is prone to leaking head gasket: if you have them done, make sure they are replaced with TURBO gaskets.

In your price range, 2000-2002 are going to be your most likely options. I'd buy another one if I had to give up my LL Bean. ;)

2000 forester, 224k niceest car I've ever had, runs amazing great in the snow. Bad thing that have happend so far, 02 sensor went out and so the car started to buck, that sucked till I got it fixed. Other than that there's awsome cars!

To get in the $4k range you're looking at 2002 and older unless you want to buy one that needs work.

I would aim for a 98 or 99 that has been either well maintained or has had recent work done including timing belt, water pump, oil seals and head gaskets.

Engine wise the Forester has the same troubles as any other Subaru from the same era. The 2.5 head gaskets like to leak coolant, they all leak oil, and timing belt maintenance is a must.

They do seem to wear out wheel bearings, but so do other Subarus of that age.

'98 models have the DOHC engine which I've heard is prone to problems. In '99 Subaru went to the SOHC engine to resolve some of them. All the '98 to '02 Foresters can be prone to head gasket issues but that's not a deal killer in my book. We bought a '99 four years ago with 105K on it and a rebuilt (maybe) engine. 50K miles later it started loosing coolant and ultimately the head gaskets failed. In having it repaired I found that the engine was previously rebuilt by someone who obviously didn't know what he was doing. In spite of that we still got 50K out of that engine and replaced it with a long block. I'd do it again since the model is basically sound; my wife loves it and I can't blame the car for the failure it had.