Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2000 Outback need new rear struts. It has some squeaks when going over bumps.

I found some struts on an 2001 Outback in a junk yard. How hard is it to take them out in a junk yard setting? What tools do I need? The tires are off the wreck so it has good access.

I am no mechanic but I am handy.

19mm wrench and socket for the bottom two bolts. Probably want a breaker bar and cheater bar to get those loose. They can be tight.

I think it's 12mm nuts on the strut top.

It's pretty easy, it's just getting the bottom bolts out can suck.

i would include in your kit: PB blaster, vise grips, large flat head screwdriver. sometimes it is easier to cut through the brake line bracket and bend it back to free the brake line from the strut, I just ziptie after I install, ymmv. Also, use a 6 point 19mm socket, not 12 point, or use risk rounding the nut. also, rachet and open end 19mm wrench are helpful.

You should throw away all 12-point sockets :rolleyes: They make more of a mess of nuts.

My favourite junk yard tool EVER?

BATTERY POWERED SAWZALL!!! zzz

If something doesn't want to come apart, cut it out. Then when you have it home on the bench you can extract the part you wanted.

except the 14mm one for head bolts!

Since he's getting it out of a junker, he can just cut the brake lines if need be

O.

HAH I almost mentioned 14mm for head bolts. I actually had to go out and buy one when I first did head gaskets.

If you're taking the block apart you need 12mm 12point sockets too.

12 point sockets are useful in certain aspects. For hammering a smaller socket onto a rounded fastener they work much better than 6 point sockets. :D

For the matter at hand, big breaker bar and a cheater pipe. Those lower strut bolts can be really tight, and it's that much worse if theyre rusty.