Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey guys and gals

so ive created some b...s and started my 5spd swap prep... all parts have been collected and clutch kit will arrive on monday... :popcorn:

ill keep yall informed how it goes and im sure im gonna have tons of questions :drunk:

ill place pics as soon as i get it all apart

that sucks.... i just did this swap like 3 days ago and i love it....best $700 bucks i ever spent on this car :)

i would go to a junkyard and pull one yourself ....youll walk away with it cheap!

just remember to buy new bushings..... i only got bushing for the shifter itself and not the stay rod and im regreting it..... also you will notice the 5 speed tranny mount is really soft .... might wanna go with a group n tranny mount later on....youll feel how soft all the bushings and mounts are the first time you get into it lol

i still hafta ground the pin on the ecu and wire up my reverse lights.... but its drivable right now.... i just left the auto's inhibitor switch hooked up and in the "park" position so it would start ( as well as the little black switch by the auto shifter was cut out by the wires and the wires connected together)

i just got the dreaded CEL but thats because of the ecu the code is p1702 and its cuz the auto isnt there and it knows it :)

if you have any questions pm me and ill do my best to help

-jarrid

that sucks.... i just did this swap like 3 days ago and i love it....best $700 bucks i ever spent on this car :)

i would go to a junkyard and pull one yourself ....youll walk away with it cheap!

just remember to buy new bushings..... i only got bushing for the shifter itself and not the stay rod and im regreting it..... also you will notice the 5 speed tranny mount is really soft .... might wanna go with a group n tranny mount later on....youll feel how soft all the bushings and mounts are the first time you get into it lol

i still hafta ground the pin on the ecu and wire up my reverse lights.... but its drivable right now.... i just left the auto's inhibitor switch hooked up and in the "park" position so it would start ( as well as the little black switch by the auto shifter was cut out by the wires and the wires connected together)

i just got the dreaded CEL but thats because of the ecu the code is p1702 and its cuz the auto isnt there and it knows it :)

if you have any questions pm me and ill do my best to help

-jarrid

I think I won't have too much problem with the cel... I have a 5spd ecu but I'm not there quite yet I have a few things to button up today and hopefully fire it up... I guess tomorrow will be a junk yard hopping day to find that shifter rod

I think I won't have too much problem with the cel... I have a 5spd ecu but I'm not there quite yet I have a few things to button up today and hopefully fire it up... I guess tomorrow will be a junk yard hopping day to find that shifter rod

doesnt matter if you have a 5 speed ecu or not :) its the wiring harness that differs between auto and 5 speed. you hafta ground pin 50 on the ecu connecter and then run a wire from pin 78 to one side of the clutch safety switch and the other side of the switch run to ground.

also to get the car to start is easy lol if you need help dont hesitate to ask! :)

oh and the swap isnt that hard at all...but the wiring is a lil tricky

tru true... i dont have any problems as of right now but i still have a cel of p1100...

i didnt have anyone to take pics for me but i'll do a write up of the steps, problems ive encountered and parts i needed to get from the dealer...

i can say one thing, if you drop the engine and trans married at once its a hell of alot easier... ive done many autos in the past but this is the easiest one i have ever done.

info to come...

You need to ground one of the pins on the ECU to make it stop looking for the TCU. There's no difference between AT and MT ECUs.

It looks like it's supposed to be Pin 81. I can't find the ECU pinout for 97, but that's what it looks like from the wire diagrams.

That should get rid of the IAC code if you have it.

The Neutral switch code can be cleared by either grounding pin 82, or by hooking up the wire on pin1 of the inhibitor switch connector to the neutral switch. and making sure the other wire on the neutral switch is connected to ground on the engine or transmission case.

ScreenshotATNS.png

ScreenshotMTNS.png

The neutral switch just tells the ECU when the trans is in gear. It changes the way the idle control valve reacts when throttle is applied. Otherwise it thinks it's in neutral all the time. Or something like that. I'm too tired to explain it the right way.

You need to ground one of the pins on the ECU to make it stop looking for the TCU. There's no difference between AT and MT ECUs.

It looks like it's supposed to be Pin 81. I can't find the ECU pinout for 97, but that's what it looks like from the wire diagrams.

That should get rid of the IAC code if you have it.

The Neutral switch code can be cleared by either grounding pin 82, or by hooking up the wire on pin1 of the inhibitor switch connector to the neutral switch. and making sure the other wire on the neutral switch is connected to ground on the engine or transmission case.

ScreenshotATNS.png

ScreenshotMTNS.png

The neutral switch just tells the ECU when the trans is in gear. It changes the way the idle control valve reacts when throttle is applied. Otherwise it thinks it's in neutral all the time. Or something like that. I'm too tired to explain it the right way.

this worked well.... so far 150 miles and no p1101 :banana:

Pinout on 95 is different. Either that or the pin count is different, I'm not entirely sure.

Either way, Pin 78 is the one you need for the Neutral switch. This is the same for AT and MT cars.

'm trying to find the MT identifier pin. I know its there, just don't remember exactly which diagram it was on.

Edit:

ECU I/O signal diagram says it's Pin 50.

Edited by Fairtax4me

So i need to ground 78 to make it start and 50 to identify it as m/t then? It looks like the starting system between the 2 is complex. Gona need to put a relay in or jump 12 and 11 of the inhibitor switch connector for now. Ill have to get more detailed tonight since i left my wiring diagrams at home. I think 50 is used on my ecm tho. Gota see what it does. I know its not grounded.

Starting system shouldn't have anything to do with neutral switch in a manual 95.

It's the CLUTCH switch that grounds the interlock relay allowing power through to the starter.

Nuetral switch is for idle control and fuel cut for throttle off decceleration. (so it can know when your in gear+rolling)

Right i was going to wire up the clutch switch for starting. The neutral switch kinda confuses me tho. Its in the trans correct? My trans has 2 switches and one is reverse. And the neutral switch it hooks to ecm and creates a ground signal to the ecm when closed correct?