Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I went to my local Advance Auto Parts to have the CEL read that just came on. It has done this a couple of times before now on the 1995 2.2 motor transplanted into wife's 98 OBW. The last CEL read said the gas cap was bad or loose. So, instructed my wife to really crank the gas cap on tight. She says she has been doing so. So this time, I bought and installed a new gas cap thinking this will solve the problem.

However, a second code also presented itself, and said the coolant temperature sensor was bad. I haven't noticed any cold start, or driveability problem, when I have driven it recently. However, after the codes were cleared, I had a devil getting the car started. It would crank and crank, and not start. Finally, giving it gas while cranking, I got it to start. Once started, the idle wanted to stay at 1200 rpm for the first 30 seconds, then the idle settled down to normal. Subsequent starts, idling, and driving have been just fine, So, hard to tell if the CTS is really bad, or just what is going on. The CEL has stayed off since the reset.

Should I wait to see if the CEL comes on again, or just install a new CTS, and be done with it? Advance Auto sells CTS, pricing from $14 to about $30. I read the archives, and was told that the sensor is a simple thermister, so is one unit that much better then the next?

A picture in the archives shows the CTS in front of the PCV valve, buried down on the top of the block. Looks difficult to remove, but couldn't find much description on "how to" replace.

Any advise on need to replace the CTS, and advise on how to do so, if needed.

Thanks, Rooster2

I came across this before. Not on a Subie, but my 3000GT. The temp sensor acts up from time to time. If the engine has only half cooled off, the car has a really hard time starting. Not sure what the relation is between temp sensor/starting, but for $14. I'd just replace it and see where you're at.

Well, I bought a Water Temp sensor this morning. Hope to install it over the lunch hour. Looks difficult to install. I think I can find it. A picture in the archives roughly shows the location on top of the motor.

Any advise on installation??

the CTS that the ECU looks at is the one with 2 wires (single wire one is for the gauge), and yes, it is buried down on the block below the PCV - kind of a pita to get to.

replaced mine on my 90 leg a few months ago - seems to me that I pulled the larger hose from the PCV that goes to the block to get it out of the way and create a little more working room. Other than that, just unplug, remove old one, install new one, plug in, and replace anything you took out to get to it.

also a good time to check/replace those little vacuum hoses back there too.

I managed to break the one that is in a U shape...yeah, they were a little on the brittle side... :o

on that PCV hose - warming it up will facilitate removal and re-installation - a hairdryer or heat gun on a low setting works well. trying to pull it when cold could potentially cause cracking - not a good thing.

Oh, and be prepared to lose a little coolant...want rags handy!

there are 2 temp sensors, one for the gauge and one for the computer. you want to replace the one for the computer.

this:

wt5056-1.jpg

not this:

d1858d.jpg

Thanks for the pixs of the sensors, very helpful. Unlucky me, I bought the wrong one. Well it is back to the store to buy the two wire sensor. Thanks for the help.

Looks like a deep well socket is needed for sensor removal. Looks like maybe a 12 metric size would fit. Is that right?

Sounds about right everything on this car is like a nissan. 10 12 and 14. Also as to how this effects starting: if it thinks the car is super cold when its not itll richen it and flood the motor. Vice versa is also true. It could lean it when its cold and keep it from starting or staying running. Giving it gas adds air to compensate for the over rich condition.

Just bought the correct sensor. Looked to install it, but cold temps and blustery wind blowing across my driveway will have me installing it another day. It is just too uncomfortable to work outside today. From the downloaded picture I have, it looks like the sensor is located on the passenger side of the motor, somewhere in front of the PCV valve. I looked in my engine bay, but couldn't find the sensor. Looks like hoses need to be moved, or removed to gain access to see and remove it. Someone wrote that changing the sensor is somewhat a PITA, I am beginning to believe it. I was wise enough to purchase a 19 MM deep socket to R&R the sensor. I think I the job is going to require it.

I looked in my engine bay, but couldn't find the sensor. Looks like hoses need to be moved, or removed to gain access to see and remove it. Someone wrote that changing the sensor is somewhat a PITA . . . .

Here's a blast from the past with Porcupine73's fine pictorial documentation!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75009&highlight=coolant+temp+sensor

It is a bit of a PITA to access. I replaced mine when I had the IACV out of the car for cleaning--access was super easy then.

Good luck.

Here's a blast from the past with Porcupine73's fine pictorial documentation!

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75009&highlight=coolant+temp+sensor

It is a bit of a PITA to access. I replaced mine when I had the IACV out of the car for cleaning--access was super easy then.

Good luck.

yupper, those pics show things the way they are.