Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think im set on doing the 5 speed swap in my 95 impreza. Im curious what models i can get the. M/t awd from. Ive heard m/t awd wasnt used til later 90s since all subarus became awd in 97. No more 2wd option. And if i get a leggie trans i have to get the rear diff to match due to gear ratios correct? Im not sure if they made a 1.8 awd manual but if so will it fit my 2.2?

A manual trans from any 90-99 Ej engine, except turbos, will bolt in and work.

I wanna say the automagic Impreza had 4.11 FDR , a transmission out of a Legacy Outback or GT will have the 4.11 front diff you need to match. Whatever car you get the trans from, be sure to get the shifter, pedals and clutch cable/hydraulics.

will pedals shifter etc from leggie work in the impreza? or should i focus on getting all those parts from the impreza? I've got access to 2 2wd m/t impreza's and an awd m/t leggie. The 4th car i have access to i cant remember if it's 2wd or awd but it's an impreza. same color as mine too ironically lol

as fair tax said, the 95 impreza auto has a 4.11 ratio, and outback and gt 5 speeds from 96 - 98 will match.

but depending on how you plan on using the car, a 3.9 will be more economical. in which case a 5 speed from a 2.2L car (legacy or impreeza) 95 - 99 or a 1.8 L impreza 93 - 97.

of course, if you want the car to be sportier or ''quicker off the line'' the 4.11 would help do that.

This being my daily after going through 2 transmissions ill take what i can get. Theres no outback or legacy gt available at least none 5 speed atm. Looks like i may have to pull the rear diff with a legacy. I have a bad memory but i think the impreza m/t i saw was awd. If so ill use that. Make sure ive got my list of parts riight

Trans awd with mounts

Speedo cable

Shift cable

Pedals brake and clutch

Shifter and shift rod

Drive shaft?

Cv shafts?

Starter?

Ecu? If its a impreza 2.2

Well as i said this is my daily and im a little low on cash. I kinda need it mobile yesterday if you know what i mean. For $100 me and my brother can go to the yard and pull everything I need to do the swap then spend $200 on a clutch kit. If i have to pull the rear diff and drop to 3.9s then so be it. Economical works for me, the car already got 28 with the auto. I suspect 30s with a lighter m/t and lower gears. I'd pay over 300 buying a trans through other non u-pull it yards even with my discount through my shop buying it.

That's without flywheel. Im talking the whole 9 yards $200. If i pull the old flywheel from the car it'll be either rusted or warped. It'll cost me $50 to machine it and it'll add extra weight to my carrying capacity. Remember it's what i can carry out not what i can pull. For $75 i'd rather just get a brand new flywheel plus try to get the flywheel bolts off in the junkyard with no air or electric tools lol

I'm actually going for this: I've got one in my hyundai and it's a nice upgrade from OEM but still feels like OEM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/F1-RACING-STAGE-1-CLUTCH-KIT-95-01-SUBARU-IMPREZA-EJ18-1-8L-2-2L-1990-99-LEGACY-/120832975288?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1995%7CModel%3AImpreza&hash=item1c2234e1b8&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUK-LFW123-Flywheel-Flexplate-/170830305254?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1995%7CModel%3AImpreza&hash=item27c64797e6&vxp=mtr

Im not sure if i wana go with exedy flywheel or an offbrand. Just like rotors it's just a hunk of steel so there's no real reason one should be better than another. On another note would now be the time to do a lightweight flywheel if i intend to do a lightweight crank pulley? I've heard even lightening both i'll need to have the engine's rotating assembly balanced to compensate and that's kinda the boxer's shining point is engine balance.

as fair tax said, the 95 impreza auto has a 4.11 ratio, and outback and gt 5 speeds from 96 - 98 will match.

but depending on how you plan on using the car, a 3.9 will be more economical. in which case a 5 speed from a 2.2L car (legacy or impreeza) 95 - 99 or a 1.8 L impreza 93 - 97.

of course, if you want the car to be sportier or ''quicker off the line'' the 4.11 would help do that.

So it's correct to say that a 1995 Impreza "L" FWD only 5 speed, has a 3.9 rear-end? Did all the 95 Legacies and Imprezas with AWD and a 2.2 have 4.11 rear?

Now I'm curious!:popcorn:

So it's correct to say that a 1995 Impreza "L" FWD only 5 speed, has a 3.9 rear-end?

fwd cars do not have a rear diff, but this would be my guess for the FD ratio of the front diff, but only a guess. i would have to look it up. i do know that SOME of the FWD cars of the 90s, early 90s?, had a 3.7 ratio, which was different than either the A/T or M/T AWD cars.

Did all the 95 Legacies and Imprezas with AWD and a 2.2 have 4.11 rear?
all the AUTO trans AWD cars did, legacy, impreza, ej22 and ej18. Edited by johnceggleston

From what I've found most FWD manual trans had 3.454 FDR.

i took a quick look and this is right. the autos are 3.9. i don't know where i got 3.7 from.

on the impreza ej18 side it looks like both the auto and manuals are 3.9. but that was just a glance, i could be wrong. but this makes sense with the ej18.

so for best fuel economy, install a legacy 5speed FWD trans.

So all the awd are 4.11s?

no, it depends on the year and auto vs. manual.

I know my impreza awd auto was and the legacy 5 speed awd i yanked today was 4.11
this is possible for the right years, but not for the same year 95 - 00.

what year, model, trans, AWD are you talking about?

Edited by johnceggleston

it's good i didnt need the diff. Mine looks brand new now that i've cleaned it and changed it to royal purple oil. My car doesnt have a single spot of rust besides the hood thats wrinkled from a wreck b4 i bought it. You can see from the pic the terrible rust the doner had. The trans surprisingly was just oily. That's probably what saved it lol all the un-maintained engine leaks.

so the legacy auto's were 3.9 and the impreza 5-speeds were 3.9 also even if they were AWD? Im referring to the same era 94-99 impreza and 94-99 legacy. I know pre 94 legacy were different. the square body ones.
you need to stop making general statements about FD ratios. they change.

rarely are manual and auto the same in the same year. 90 - 91 only i think. turbos not included.

FACTS

93 - 99 impreza ej22 & ej18

auto = 4.11 manual = 3.9

93 - 94 legacy ej22

auto = 3.9, manual = 4.11

turbos may be different.

95 - 99 legacy ej22

auto = 4.11, manual = 3.9

96 - 99 ej25 legacy GT, LSi, outback

auto = 4.44, manual 4.11

Edited by johnceggleston