Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ swap mpg reports

im looking into doing a ej22 swap into my 86 gl hatchback turbo. biggest thing for me is mileage and i haven't been able to find any real world reports. my dad is getting 30avg in his 97 gt 5spd so lets hear what you've got and what sort of mileage you've been getting. if you could also please list major mods such as lifts wheel size etc.

Thanks

I did an '86 Gl wagon with a '96 2.2. Stock tires, stock PT4WD transmission. In FWD, it easily saw 28ish, even in town. And I think the guy that bought it said he got like 35 on his drive back to detroit.

My '92 loyale didn't do so great. The FT4WD RX transmission was geared too short. I don't think I ever saw more than 28 or so. The 280k mile '92 EJ22 probably didn't help either.

I got consistent mid 20's with a 4" lifted 29" tired 3,000lb loyale wagon that I drove abusively. That was with an EJ22 and a d/r 5spd.

Remember that you have to correct the odometer reading per tankfull to whatever percentage the speedometer is off. The bigger the tires, the lower the speedometer will read in relation to actual road speed and the fewer miles the odometer will indicate in relation to actual miles traveled. If you don't factor that in, you'll think you're getting way worse MPG's with big tires than you actually are.

I did an '86 Gl wagon with a '96 2.2. Stock tires, stock PT4WD transmission. In FWD, it easily saw 28ish, even in town. And I think the guy that bought it said he got like 35 on his drive back to detroit.

I think I had some ethanol free gas when I got in the mid 30's. I've put 50k miles on the wagon since I bought it from you and the mileage is regularly around 30-32 mpgs.

My lifted wheeler with an EJ18 gets 24 average in my daily life...which includes both rural highway and around town driving. Wheeling it get's 20 or worse depending on how much I'm spinning wheels going nowhere.

My "street" wagon has an EJ22, Single rangePT4wd with 205/70/15 tires. On a cross country trip, towing 1500 pound trailer, it got 23. Around town, without the trailer it gets 28+.

I should note, I have a lead foot, and I'm prone to shifts at or above redline.